Weekend Outlook – Watch July 4th fireworks on the National Mall

Fireworks for the annual Independence Day show will be launched on both sides of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.

The District is revving up for a weekend jam-packed with Fourth of July festivities.

Spend the weekend leading up to July Fourth by seeing a movie at Union Market’s drive-in movie theatre, attending a Nationals’ game and watching the annual Independence Day firework display on the National Mall. 

Friday 

The Drive-in at Union Market

Kick off the holiday weekend by spending Friday night watching Wonder Woman 1984 from the comfort of your car or lawn chair at Union Market’s drive-in movie theater, which reopened for its ninth summer season in May. The drive-in will host a movie showing every first Friday of the month through Oct. 1. You can expect to park in the lot just in front of Union Market and tune into the audio through FM radio. Additionally, all films shown will have captions. Don’t sweat if you don’t have access to a car. Anyone can bring lawn chairs or blankets to set up in the recreation and picnic table area just in front of the building, called Neal Park and watch the film free of charge and hear it through speakers at the front. Some of the market’s food and beverage vendors like Fava Pot, which sells Egyptian cuisine, and The Creamery ice cream joint will be open to serve movie guests.

Union Market, 1309 5th St. NE. Tickets are $20 per car, free admission without a car. Screening 7:30 p.m. to 11 p.m. Find more information here.

Saturday

Washington Nationals Baseball Game

Hit the baseball stands to watch The Nationals face off against the 2020 World Series champions, the Los Angeles Dodgers July 3. The Nats won the 2019 World Series Championship, making it a game sure to keep you on the edge of your seat. Grab some American ball-game staples like beer, peanuts and hotdogs, and enjoy your night in the stadium. Stick around after the game for the Freedom Fireworks show. 

The Nationals stadium, 1500 S Capitol St. SE. Game starts at 7:15 p.m. with a firework show afterward. Tickets start at $28. Government and Military deals are offered. Purchase tickets here.

Sunday

July Fourth Fireworks on the National Mall

The annual Independence Day fireworks show will be hosted on the National Mall by the National Park Service on July 4. The firework display is scheduled to begin at 9:09 p.m. so make sure you find your viewing spot on the National Mall early that evening if you’re planning to watch them along the mall. Find COVID-19, safety information here. The fireworks will be launched on both sides of the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool. If you plan to watch the event at home you can tune into the PBS channel at 8 p.m. to watch the 41st annual “A Capitol Fourth” concert which precedes the firework display.

Watch in person on The National Mall or aired on PBS. Fireworks begin at 9:09 p.m. Free. Find more information here. Find inspiration for more firework viewing spots here.