Local organization to offer free Lyft rides July 4

Residents+can+access+a+promo+code+for+a+free+%2415+ride+at+7+p.m.+on+July+4+on+the+SoberRide+website.+
File Photo by Zach Schonfeld | Staff Photographer
Residents can access a promo code for a free $15 ride at 7 p.m. on July 4 on the SoberRide website.

The Washington Regional Alcohol Program will offer free Lyft rides in the D.C. area on July 4 to prevent drunk driving, the organization announced last week. 

The July 4th initiative will begin at 8 p.m. Sunday, July 4 and will operate until 4 a.m. the next morning according to the release announcing the initiative. During the eight-hour period residents can download the Lyft app and type in the SoberRide promo code to receive a $15 ride for free. 

The promo code will be posted at 7 p.m. on July 4 on the SoberRide website, according to the release. The initiative is part of the WRAP’s SoberRide program which provides free rides during holidays that are typically celebrated with alcohol.

“Nearly 40 percent of U.S. traffic fatalities during the Independence Day holiday involve drunk drivers according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,” WRAP President Kurt Erickson said in the release.

He said in the release that nearly 70 percent of fatal drunk driving crashes involved at least one driver with a blood alcohol concentrations of .15 or higher.

The SoberRide program will be offered throughout Lyft’s coverage of the D.C. area, which includes Montgomery, Prince George, Arlington, Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince William counties in addition to the District.