Chris Bracey named interim provost following Brian Blake’s departure

Christopher Bracey, the vice provost for faculty affairs, said at a Faculty Senate meeting Friday that officials have increased salaries for some faculty whose pay was not in the same range as their colleagues.

Chris Bracey, the vice provost for faculty affairs, will take over as interim provost and executive vice president for academic affairs, University President Thomas LeBlanc announced Tuesday.

Bracey, who has served in his current position since 2016, will replace former Provost Brian Blake, who was named the next president of Georgia State University earlier this month, according to a University release. Officials said Bracey has supported faculty teaching and research across all disciplines and encouraged greater faculty participation in decisions at GW.

“I am grateful for the opportunity to serve GW in the interim provost role,” Bracey said in the release. “I look forward to continuing to work with our incredibly talented faculty, deans, Provost’s Office staff, students and all members of our community to support excellence in teaching and research and provide our students with a rigorous and fulfilling academic experience.”

Blake stepped down as provost immediately following the announcement that he was the lone finalist for the position at Georgia State.

Blake’s departure has left the University now needing to fill two of its top administrative positions after University President Thomas LeBlanc announced in May that he would be stepping down from his position at the end of next academic year. Officials said the next University president will select a replacement for the interim provost.

Officials said Bracey has led the University’s efforts to provide resources and guidance to faculty in their scholarship and research and has worked closely with community members to strengthen a diverse, inclusive and internationally recognized “community of scholars.” Bracey joined GW Law as a faculty member in 2008 and previously served as the school’s senior associate dean for academic affairs and interim dean, according to the release.

Blake left behind a series of ongoing projects that the interim provost will take over for the time being, like the University’s first diversity audit and the Post-COVID Academic Innovation Task Force, which is spearheading changes to GW’s academic environment after the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Chris is an accomplished scholar and respected academic leader at GW,” LeBlanc said in the release. “He has strong relationships with faculty and leadership across the institution that will ensure we continue to advance the academic mission and support all students and faculty. After consulting with Senate leadership, deans, faculty, and staff, it was clear Chris is the right leader for this role.”