Sailing caps final varsity year at coed nationals

Sailing earned a tenth place finish at the Intercollegiate Sailing Association Coed National Championships to wrap up the 2021 season last week.

The Colonials racked up a total of 333 points across the two divisions, finishing 14th and 6th overall in the A Division and B Division respectively. The regatta marks the end of the program’s final season of varsity status since its inception in 2012.

Juniors Matt Logue and Allison Forsyth notched their first-ever nationals appearance and earned a 14th place finish overall in the A division.

“They performed really well, sailed with a lot of confidence and continued to be a really strong boat for us,” head coach Billy Martin said. “I am looking forward to seeing what they will do for the team in the future.”

Senior Soenke Jordan and sophomore Ruby Gordon headed the B division boat, who Martin said were “the main reason” the team qualified for nationals.

Jordan spearheaded the Colonial squad at the Singlehanded National Championships with a 17th place finish May 1 and 2 while Gordon helped the women’s squad earn a fourth place finish at the MAISA Qualifiers April 17 and 18 to earn an automatic berth to the College Sailing Women’s Nationals.

Juniors Michael Ehnot and Chiara Perotti Correa hit the water as alternates in the B Division as well to nudge the squad toward a tenth place finish.

“They have been looking strong as a new pairing that we have been working on this postseason,” Martin said. “They locked in and really showed some elite-level boat speed and performed great.”

Last month the Colonials also nabbed a 14th at the ICSA Sperry Women’s National Championship May 20, just two years removed from a fourth overall finish in 2019, the highest finish in program history.