Officials recognize Juneteenth as University holiday

The University will observe Juneteenth as a holiday this year, University President Thomas LeBlanc announced in an email Thursday.

The announcement came hours after President Joe Biden signed legislation into law dedicating Juneteenth as a national holiday. Juneteenth celebrates June 19, 1865, the day when enslaved people were emancipated in Texas.

University President Thomas LeBlanc said classes tomorrow will not be held and administrative offices will be closed.

“We encourage everyone to observe the day, but due to the timing of this announcement, we understand that there may be work or class obligations that cannot be altered, and we ask faculty and managers to use discretion and communicate any further guidance to their students or staff,” he said in the email.

LeBlanc said faculty and staff with “clinical, public safety or other on-site responsibilities” will receive further guidance from their leadership regarding the holiday.

“I am proud of our GW students, faculty, staff and alumni who are fostering a welcoming and inclusive community that works across our academic programs, classrooms and offices to eliminate barriers on our campuses and dismantle systemic racism in society,” he said.