Milken professional lecturer named director of well-being support for MPD

Program+affiliates+said+the+updated+program+will+emphasize+applied+skills+with+hands-on+fieldwork+and+advanced+policy+analysis.+
File photo by Danielle Towers | Assistant Photo Editor
Program affiliates said the updated program will emphasize applied skills with hands-on fieldwork and advanced policy analysis.

A professional lecturer in the Milken Institute School of Public Health will serve as the first director of employee well-being support in the Metropolitan Police Department.

Diana Karczmarczyk, who works in the department of exercise and nutrition sciences in Milken, will help officers in MPD’s Employee Assistance Program who are dealing with emotional and physical trauma following the attack on the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, The Washington Post reported Tuesday. Karczmarczyk will develop MPD’s well-being programs and coordinate the resources that officers have available to them, according to The Post.

Police officials reported that about 140 officers were injured in the Capitol riots, including at least 81 Capitol Police officers and 65 D.C. police.

Karczmarczyk received her master’s degree in public health in community health education from the University of North Carolina Greensboro before completing a doctorate in education at George Mason University.