School of Nursing creates scholarship fund in honor of late professor

The School of Nursing established a scholarship fund in remembrance of Paul Tschudi, a health sciences professor who died in April.

The Paul Tschudi Memorial Award will be given annually to a second- or third-semester nursing student who demonstrates “extraordinary” leadership and service to others. Nursing school officials plan to raise $25,000 to give the award to its first recipient at the school’s graduation celebration in May of next calendar year.

Paul Tschudi, an assistant professor of health sciences and alumnus of the Graduate School of Education and Human Development, died April 7 in an accidental house fire in Northeast D.C. at the age of 73.

Former nursing school Dean Jean Johnson, former Associate Dean Ellen Dawson, associate professor Cathi Cox and Dean Pamela Jeffries pledged $22,500 at the GW School of Nursing 10th Anniversary Gala to kickstart this effort.

The nursing school is also taking donations to meet and exceed the $25,000 goal set.

Tschudi joined GW more than 20 years ago and founded the school’s Grief, Loss and Life Transitions Graduate Certificate. He also previously owned a private grief counseling practice and served as the former executive director of the Wendt Center for Loss and Healing.

Family and friends of Tschudi will be hosting a virtual memorial service for him on Saturday, which will include a slideshow presentation, a program service and an opportunity for people to chat over small groups, according to the tribute website. Registration is required to attend the memorial and people can also post messages and their memories of Tschudi to the website.