Weekend Outlook – Visit Dupont Underground’s ‘A Celebration of Drag’

Dupont Underground’s newest exhibition will spotlight photos of D.C. drag culture from the archives of The Washington Blade.

Whether you’re in need of some R&R after the first weeks of your internship or you’re looking for some activities to fight off the summer blues, we’ve got you covered.

Make the most of D.C. this weekend by grabbing food while vibing out to live music at American Son, snuggling with bunnies in a yoga class and celebrating Pride month by visiting Dupont Underground’s newest exhibit on the drag culture of D.C.

Friday

Shady Vibes

Stop by the restaurant American Son, located in Eaton Hotel in Downtown D.C., for dinner and live music. Eaton Radio will host an outdoor concert series called Shady Vibes each Friday night through Sep. 10. You can stop by and watch the music from the sidewalk in front of the hotel or grab dinner at American Son and watch the music from the restaurant’s outdoor seating. The musicians aren’t advertised online ahead of time, but you can expect everything from “bands and plugged-in sets to jazz and electronic beats,” according to the event listing

American Son, 1201 K St. NW. 7 to 9 p.m. Free. Find more information here.

Saturday

Bunny Yoga and Meditation

This yoga session is ideal for relaxation while interacting with furry friends. Bunnies from a local farm will join you at this yoga and meditation class led by instructor Sunny Anastasia Martynova. All you’ll need is your own yoga mat. The bunnies will be roaming around during your yoga session and at the end there will be time for you to grab a few cute pictures with them and get in a few extra snuggles.

Urban Athletic Club – Glover Park, 2505 Wisconsin Ave. NW. 3 to 4 p.m. Tickets are $35. Find more information here.

Sunday

DC’s Royals: A Celebration of Drag

In partnership with The Washington Blade, a local LGBTQ+ newspaper, Dupont Underground is hosting its newest exhibition, DC’s Royals: A Celebration of Drag, which opens Friday. The exhibition showcases photographs of D.C. drag culture sourced from the archives of The Washington Blade Newspaper. Viewers can also see video footage from interviews with Drag Queen Shi-Queeta-Lee and Drag King Pretty RikE with a goal of honoring “the roots of drag in America authentically while also celebrating the power, pride and leadership that define the drag community,” according to Dupont underground’s website. Each day after the exhibit closes guests are welcomed to stay for a live drag show with various performers which runs until 10 p.m.

Dupont Underground, 19 Dupont Circle NW. Open to the public every Friday, Saturday and Sunday through June 27, but exhibition and drag show times vary by weekend. Find more information here.