Graduating student-athletes bid farewell to GW

During her final season on the softball team, Sidney Bloomfield notched career highs in batting average and slugging percentage.

The Colonials are sending off their senior classes of athletes as they trade in their buff and blue uniforms for caps and gowns.

Despite facing truncated seasons and completing their senior year in a virtual setting, GW’s graduating student-athletes are leaving behind impressive legacies. We asked a few star athletes to reflect on their time at GW and share what being a part of GW Athletics meant to them.

Here are some of the standout performers of the graduating class of 2021:

Ioanna Mantzouratos: Lacrosse

Mantzouratos racked up 88 points over the course of her career, including 59 goals and 29 assists. She finishes with a .450 shooting percentage and .809 shooting percentage on goal overall. The attacker earned a spot on the A-10 All-Conference All-Rookie Team her debut year, setting new GW freshman records with 23 goals, 18 assists, 41 points and 46 shots. In her final season, Mantzouratos tallied a season-high five goals and nine shots on net against American.

“GW Athletics has been a big part of my four years in undergrad,” Mantzouratos said. “Having the opportunity to go to a great school and playing the sport I love alongside my teammates is something I will never take for granted.”

Ryan Doorhy: Men’s track and field

Doorhy set a personal record in his final season during the Atlantic 10 Championship, finishing with a time of 1:58:49 in the outdoor 800 meter race. In his freshman year, Doorhy placed 51st at the cross country Mount St. Mary’s Duals 5K with a time of 17:04.02. He also set personal records in the indoor mile at the VMI Winter Relays with a time of 4:28.08 and the 1500 meter race at the Mason Spring Invitational with a time of 3:59.51 during his sophomore year.

“There were a lot of ups and downs but running at GW has been an honor,” Doorhy said. “It truly is a family here.”

Sidney Bloomfield: Softball

During her final season, Bloomfield set career highs with a batting average of .450 and a slugging percentage of .510. She notched eight hits in 14 at bats across five games on the road to the team’s 2021 A-10 title victory to earn a spot on the All-Championship Team. In her sophomore year, she set career highs of 52 hits and 11 RBIs to aid the Colonials’ A-10 title run and earn a share of the championship with Fordham in 2019.

“Being a part of GW Athletics has encouraged a family environment while being away from home,” Bloomfield said. “It has allowed me to have so many opportunities that I am forever grateful for.”

Gabriele Simonti: Men’s water polo

In his abbreviated senior season, Simonti notched six goals and two assists. The Italian center also tied a career-high four steals against La Salle in the MAWPC semifinal. During his first season with the Colonials in 2019, he accumulated 40 goals and 41 steals as well as 30 field blocks to match a single-season program record. He was recognized on the GW Athletics Academic Dean’s list in the Spring of 2019 in addition to the ACWPC All-Academic Team.

“Being part of a team at GW allowed me to make many friends quickly, and integrating in the athletic community helped me overcome problems and issues that an international student usually experiences in a new country,” Simonti said.

Youssef Ragab: Men’s swimming

In his final season, Ragab notched fourth place in the 100 meter breast to help the Colonials win their fourth A-10 Championship in five years. He was named to the A-10 All-Conference First Team in his sophomore and junior campaigns at GW, earning gold medals in the 800 meter free relay both years at the A-10 title meet. In his debut year in 2017, he broke into the all-time GW top ten in the 100 and 200 meter breasts and the 200 and 400 meter individual medley events.

“Being part of the team here at GW has given me a unique experience,” Ragab said. “It’s obviously difficult managing everything from school to traveling and practice, especially since our season is so long. But what made it easier and more enjoyable is seeing the entire team do it together and working for each other. That made all the sacrifices we have to make day-in, day-out worth every bit.”

Sydney Welch: Volleyball

Welch amassed 965 digs over the course of a four year career, notching 70 digs and 10 service aces in her final condensed season. The defensive specialist posted double-digit digs three times, including a season-high 11 against La Salle Feb. 19 and tied a career high four service aces against Howard in February 2020. As a freshman in 2017, she played in all 32 matches in her debut season, leading the squad and finishing fifth overall in the A-10 with 469 digs.

“My experience at GW was truly one of a kind,” Welch said. “I have made many lifelong friends and memories that will have a lasting impact on me for the rest of my life.”