Weekend Outlook – Take a virtual tour of the National Aquarium’s Rescue Center

Sophia Young | Assistant Photo Editor
Viewers of the National Aquarium’s Animal Care and Rescue Center virtual tour will get to meet Kai, the aquarium’s newest sea turtle.

Take a much needed break from your finals preparation to appreciate some interactive events offered around the D.C. area this weekend.

Discover local artists on a walk through Adams Morgan Friday, learn how the National Aquarium takes care of its sea creatures on Saturday and take a trip to the National Museum of Women in the Arts on Sunday.

Friday

AdMo Art Walk

Venture out of Foggy Bottom and take your daily walk in Adams Morgan to enjoy the neighborhood’s art show. In partnership with the DC Arts Center, local businesses on the multicolored main street, like Lost City Books and The Potter’s House, are displaying local artwork in and outside their stores for the AdMo Art Walk, which runs through May 14. You can also check out the Adams Morgan Heritage Trail and take a self-guided mural tour throughout the neighborhood.

Adams Morgan neighborhood. Free. Find more information here.

Saturday

Virtual Animal Care and Rescue Center Tour

Take an online tour of the National Aquarium’s Animal Care and Rescue Center to get a behind-the-scenes look of the facility. Viewers will discover how aquarium staff care for their aquatic animals and will have the chance to virtually meet the newest sea turtle to join the aquarium, Kai. Participants will also be able to interact with the tour guide through the Zoom chat function.

Virtual. Available on alternating Wednesdays and Sundays from 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. Tickets are $45 per device. Find more information here.

Sunday

“Mary Ellen Mark: Girlhood”

Although most Smithsonian museums are still closed, the National Museum of Women in the Arts is open to the public. Among their current offerings is an exhibit titled “Mary Ellen Mark: Girlhood,” which includes about 30 photographs depicting girls and young women growing up in different circumstances. Through her works like “Prom” and “Streetwise,” Mark highlights a wide range of subjects, giving viewers a glimpse into the unique experiences of girls around the globe.

1250 New York Ave. NW. Open from noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays. Register for free timed tickets to reserve your spot. Find more information here.