Best unhinged quarantine habit: Taking substances during class

Photo Illustration by Grace Hromin | Assistant Photo Editor
As the boundary between class and life has deteriorated over the course of the past year, so has the barrier to smoke and drink during classes.

Readers’ pick: Day drinking

After more than a year of limiting most of our social interactions to a monitor, it’s understandable if you’ve engaged in some questionable behavior behind the computer screen.

For many, quarantine has turned us into recluse creatures deprived of life as lockdowns require us to sacrifice another day of normal life. More than one of us may have put their energy toward binge-watching an entire TV show in place of a Thursday night out with friends, and you probably know someone who spends too much money on GoPuff to avoid crowds at 7/11.

But of all the unhinged quarantine habits, nothing seems more fitting than drinking or smoking during class. 

And no, we’re not talking about stimulants, like caffeine or Adderall. 

It’s no question that online classes make it easier to get away with this “no-no”: A virtual classroom eliminates the pressure of having to be present and alert. It’s almost too tempting not to turn off your camera in a 150-person Zoom meeting, so you can enjoy a glass of wine as you jot down notes. 

And let’s not forget about the forgone odor problem – you can now quickly stop sharing video, take a quick bong hit and then return to class ready to discuss Plato’s “Republic” without getting asked if you’ve been sprayed by a skunk. 

To be clear, this is not a lifestyle we encourage. But to make light of such a tumultuous year, we should underscore some of the more crude moments of the 2020-21 college experience.