Best to-go cocktail: Lavender Lemonade from Calico

Anthony Peltier | Photographer
Calico offers plenty of outdoor seating for customers to enjoy their drinks and snacks, creating a cozy backyard atmosphere.

Readers’ pick: Lavender Lemonade from Calico

Location: 50 Blagden Alley NW

Packaged in a pouch reminiscent of a Capri Sun, The Hatchet’s choice for the best to-go cocktail is Calico’s Lavender Lemonade.

Calico, a chic cat-themed urban backyard and restaurant located in Shaw’s Blagden Alley, offers three “adult juice boxes” on its menu: Marla Hooch’s Hooch, Blagden Rose and Lavender Lemonade. Each 6.3 ounce cocktail is served in a resealable, twist-off top pouch and sold for $12. 

The Lavender Lemonade is a concoction of One Eight District Made gin, lavender, honey, lemon and Giffard Cassis Noir de Bourgogne – a liqueur made from blackcurrants. The adult juice box is served chilled and stiff, making a satisfying drink for a spring Friday afternoon. The strong lavender flavor adds a refreshing, floral taste to the cocktail, and the honey acts as a natural sweetener.

If gin isn’t your liquor of choice, Calico’s Blagden Rose is made with vodka, passion fruit, pineapple and cranberry for something more fruity, while Marla Hooch’s Hooch box is a combination of gin, peach, mint syrup and lemon. 

These cocktails can be taken to-go or enjoyed from the sunny backyard of Calico. The restaurant offers ample outdoor seating enclosed by a tall wood fence, giving it that cozy backyard feel. String lights and greenery surround the picnic style benches and tables.

Calico offers a sturdy menu of snacks including mac and cheese ($7) and loaded tots ($10); mains like a ribeye steak ($16) and cheeseburger ($15); and an assortment of tomato pies ($15-19). In addition to its adult juice boxes, Calico offers a selection of hot and draft cocktails (all $12), draft beers ($7 to $8), cans ($4 to $8) and wine by the glass ($10 to $12) or bottle ($30 to $36).

The location has been featured in several publications’ rankings for best bars in D.C., including Condé Nast Traveler’s list and Washingtonian. Enjoy a Lavender Lemonade adult juice box from the patio with friends or pick up the portable drink to bring home for a night in.