Best legal weed company: District Derp

Photo Illustration by Sabrina Godin | Assistant Photo Editor
Customers can purchase unique paintings, crafted by Sudo the dog, that come with a cannabis gift to enjoy.

Readers’ pick: Capitol Bud

For some people 21 or older, cannabis has served as a welcome relaxant over the course of this stressful year.

As legal cannabis businesses pop up throughout the District after Initiative 71  legalized the possession of a small amount of marijuana in 2014, D.C. residents have plenty of options to legally acquire the relaxant. But District Derp earned The Hatchet’s pick for best legal weed company because of its unique business model that gifts cannabis products to customers along with a purchase of a whimsical painting.

The company was founded by alumni Chris Licata and Anais Hayes, who started District Derp as a way to combat the stress and anxiety that comes with living in a fast-paced, professionally oriented city like D.C.

Customers 21 or older can choose from a variety of paintings by the duo’s adorable Alaskan Klee Kai dog, Sudo, that comes with a cannabis gift to enjoy the masterpiece with. Visitors to the site can scroll through an array of Sudo’s work that ranges from the three-piece-installment of her “Blue period”, which chronicled the pooch’s sadness throughout the pandemic, to “Ember” in which Sudo experimented with warmer colors.

Each print is paired with a gift you can choose from, including flower, edibles or a vaporizer cartridge. Prices range from about $5 to $66, depending on the painting you choose.

The company is also big on cannabis education – its website features an archive of blog posts about the nature of the industry and the benefits of using cannabis.

The business needed to close temporarily at the start of the COVID-19 pandemic because non-medical cannabis companies did not classify as essential businesses under Mayor Muriel Bowser’s order last April to close all nonessential businesses.

But now that delivery is up and running again, head to District Derp’s website the next time you’re looking to top off your stash or for some unique wall art.