Best food delivery app: Toast Takeout

Toast+Takeout+offers+several+perks+that+more+popular+food+service+apps+dont%2C+like+upscale+options+and+a+flat+delivery+fee.+
Photo Illustration by Sabrina Godin | Assistant Photo Editor
Toast Takeout offers several perks that more popular food service apps don’t, like upscale options and a flat delivery fee.

Readers’ pick: Uber Eats

While food delivery services like Grubhub and UberEats have larger consumer bases worldwide, Toast Takeout is by far the best service to use if you want to get food from some of D.C.’s best restaurants delivered to your door.

Toast, which launched its delivery app Toast Takeout in January of 2019, sells management software to restaurants. The food delivery app hosts mainly high-end, gourmet or niche restaurants, and its website entices customers to order ahead from restaurants anywhere in your hometown or city.

In D.C., you can order from restaurants like Chiko, Fiola Mare, Chaia Tacos, Estadio, Tiki TNT and Purple Patch. It even offers delivery for campus restaurant favorites like Tonic and Cravings.

You can access the app, which has pick-up and delivery options, either as a guest or through making an account. The app has features like “scan to pay” where you can take a picture of your credit or debit card to upload as a payment method, a list of office buildings near you that it can cater to and search filtering by cuisine type. And unlike its competitors, Toast charges restaurants a flat-rate fee for delivery instead of taking a percent of the sale and charging the customer. 

If you’re looking to save money on delivery and chow down on food from some of the best restaurants near you, download Toast Takeout.