Best bacon, egg and cheese: Call Your Mother

The+East+Coast+brunch+blog+Bitches+Who+Brunch+awarded+the+deli+a+five+mimosas+out+of+five+rating.+
Phebe Grosser | Staff Photographer
The East Coast brunch blog “Bitches Who Brunch” awarded the deli a five mimosas out of five rating.

Readers’ pick: GW Delicatessen

Location: 3428 O St. NW, among other locations

It’s convenient to head over to the GW Delicatessen for a hangover breakfast of bacon, egg and cheese. But if you’re willing to make the trek to Georgetown, Call Your Mother’s bacon, egg and cheese is the best in town. 

The bagel sandwich is deceptively simple – but because it’s made with just a few ingredients, it’s crucial that each ingredient is cooked correctly, assembled in the right proportions and served on a bagel crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Call Your Mother’s bacon, egg and cheese goes above and beyond expectations.

Calling itself a “Jew-Ish” deli, Call Your Mother has become a D.C. favorite for its handcrafted bagels and its carefully compiled sandwiches, and its “Sun City” bagel is no exception. Topped with local bacon, eggs, both American and cheddar cheese, spicy honey and served on an everything bagel, this sandwich is sure to please even the pickiest bacon, egg, and cheese devotee. 

The East Coast brunch blog “Bitches Who Brunch,” known for its in-depth reviews of D.C. breakfast options, has raved about the Sun City sandwich. The blog gave the eatery a rating of five mimosas out of five. 

“It’s the perfect hangover cure,” wrote Annie Johnson, the blog’s former social media manager. “You’re never going to want a bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich without spicy honey again. That hint of sweetness elevates every bite.”

Call Your Mother is also a favorite of President Joe Biden – the Georgetown eatery was his first public restaurant visit since assuming office. Jeff Zients, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, is also one of Call Your Mother’s partners and investors. 

The Georgetown location is the closest Call Your Mother spot to campus. If you live farther from campus, you can also check out its brick-and-mortar locations in Park View, Capitol Hill and Bethesda, as well as outposts at the Silver Spring, Mount Vernon Triangle, Mosaic and Dupont farmers markets.