Weekend Outlook – Visit the newly reopened National Building Museum

Visitors to the National Building Museum will be able to view exhibits, like the Gun Violence Memorial Project.
Visitors to the National Building Museum will be able to view exhibits, like the “Gun Violence Memorial Project.”

Cherry blossom season is sadly coming to a close, but the city’s other spring festivities have only just begun.

This weekend, visit a reopened D.C. museum in person, attend an online exhibition from a still-shuttered museum and get your final fill of the cherry blossom trees with a blossom-inspired art installation.

Friday

National Building Museum

After a 16-month closure, the National Building Museum is set to reopen Friday. The museum, which is located four blocks from the National Mall, is in the historic Pension Building which contains an exquisite Great Hall decorated with massive Corinthian Columns and a 1,200-foot-long terracotta frieze on the outside. Visitors can view exhibits, like the “Gun Violence Memorial Project,” and the work of MASS Design Group, a nonprofit architecture firm that works to build public-serving structures.

401 F St. NW. Open Friday through Sunday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tickets are $7 for students and $10 for general admission. Book tickets here.

Saturday

Smithsonian Food for the People Exhibition

Tune in on Saturday to watch the Anacostia Community Museum introduce parts of its new exhibit called “Food for the People: Eating and Activism in Greater Washington.” The one-hour livestream will feature Grammy-nominated Hip Hop artist and Southeast D.C. local Christylez Bacon as well as the museum’s senior curator, Samir Meghelli. Attendees will enjoy Bacon’s music, which employs “West African Djembe drum, acoustic guitar and the human beat-box,” in addition to a tour of the museum’s grounds and the new exhibit.

Online. 1 to 2 p.m. Tickets are free. Find more information here.

Sunday

ChalkWalk

Inspired by the city’s cherry blossoms, DowntownDC is hosting a spring sidewalk chalk festival that began in March and will close at the end of this month. Head down to the Gallery Place Alley at Seventh Street NW to see the impressive 3D chalk designs. Don’t forget to post your pictures on Instagram with the hashtag #ChalkWalkDC for the chance to win a prize from the DowntownDC Business Improvement District.

The Gallery Place Alley off Seventh Street. NW. Open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. every day until April 30. Find more information here.