Shenkman Hall food court reopens for campus dining as Teashi returns

File Photo by Eric Lee
GW administers between 300 to 700 PCR COVID-19 tests daily.

The Shenkman Hall food court has reopened for campus dining this month.

Karen Zinn, the associate vice president of business services, said Teashi – a Chinese restaurant located on Shenkman’s lower food court – reopened earlier this month, joining Potbelly Sandwich Shop as the second restaurant to reopen in the building during the COVID-19 pandemic. She said seating in the food court will be limited to 25 percent capacity and restricted to on-campus residents as part of D.C. and University COVID-19 policy.

“Since the onset of the pandemic, GW Dining has worked to safely reopen on-campus dining partners to the GW community and provide a variety of dining options to the on-campus cohort,” she said in an email.

The food court reopened less than a month after the COVID-19 testing center and public health lab that occupied the space moved from Shenkman to the Lerner Health and Wellness Center in March.

Zinn said officials don’t plan to reopen any other GWorld vendors in Shenkman this semester because of the size of the on-campus population, currently totaling about 1,500 students. She said safety serves as the “top priority” for reopening guidelines, which follow recommendations from members of the D.C. government, Milken Institute School of Public Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Three GWorld vendors – Chick-fil-A, GRK Fresh Greek and Kin’s Sushi – reopened in District House earlier this semester as students struggled to find affordable dining options with more than 30 food providers near campus remained closed. Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, GWorld vendors have grappled with financial difficulties while the majority of students remain off campus.