Olivia Columbus: Just say yes

Parth Kotak | Staff Photographer

Each year, graduating editors are given 30 final column inches – “30” was historically used to signify the end of a story – to reflect on their time at The Hatchet, published in the final issues of the year.

I never thought I would join The Hatchet. I remember several of my friends joining freshman year, but I didn’t think it was for me. I generally tried to play it safe, didn’t get involved in any organizations, and just lied low because I thought it was comfortable. However, throughout my freshman year I never felt like I found my place or my people. 

It wasn’t until my sophomore year that I decided to join The Hatchet to help build my graphic design portfolio. I quickly found myself wanting to spend more and more time in the townhouse, learning about the design process and getting to know the staff members. When I applied for staff I wasn’t totally sure what I was getting into. I thought I wanted to be the graphics editor because that was what I was good at, and I felt like design was too big of a commitment. I found out that I had received the position of contributing design editor and I was worried that I was not going to do a good job, I had no background in InDesign and was unfamiliar with the process. However, I took the risk and said yes, and looking back I am so happy I took that leap. 

When I joined staff, it was one of the first times at GW that I felt like I was in a group of people where I really saw myself thriving. Over time I built incredible friendships with people I would have otherwise never met. From Saturdays filled with guide prodos to late Sunday nights in the townhouse, I have cherished every moment (even when I’ve jokingly threatened to quit much to Sarah’s frustration). 

Soon after joining staff I learned that I would become design editor faster than expected. I was once again terrified that I was in over my head, worried that I would hold up the already lengthy prodo process. However, I once again said yes, and it is because of the assistance, training, and support I received from this fantastic group of people that I was able to succeed and flourish in my time as design editor. 

When I came to GW I never imagined that I would find such an incredible opportunity as I did with The Hatchet. My biggest disappointment is not knowing the day before spring break last year would be our last time together. 

[gwh_image id=”1140682″ credit=”Parth Kotak | Staff Photographer” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”][/gwh_image]

While this year did not go how any of us expected, we have done everything we can to make the best of it. There are a number of fantastic people I have been lucky enough to work with, and it is all because I took the leap and just said yes: 

Sarah: Thank you for leading us with grace and confidence these past two years. I couldn’t have asked for a better EIC during my time on staff. It’s funny to think that we started off college together in Waisbord’s Theory and Practice class four years ago, and here we are now. Thank you for giving me so much creative freedom to try (and sometimes fail) at my craziest design concepts. I can’t wait to see what the future holds for you, and I know that whatever you do you will thrive!  

Kiran: Your humor and kindness bring so much to staff. You were a fantastic opinions editor, even if we may not agree on which Michigan college is superior (it’s obviously MSU) or who the feminists on ed board are. Thank you for convincing me to join ed board even when I didn’t want to and for always livening up the basement. I will miss your hot takes, but I know you are going to do amazing things. 

Parth: Thank you for being my biggest critic and my biggest supporter. You constantly push me to be the best I can be and won’t settle for less. Even though we frequently argue about design choices, I appreciate your constant dedication to The Hatchet and everything you do. You’ve made me a better design editor, and a better person, and I can’t imagine what my experience would be like without you. 

Jared: You’ve been a great SNE, even with all of the craziness this year. Thank you for your patience in cutting pages with me every Sunday and for defending New Jersey when it is slandered by certain staff members. Next year’s staff is in good hands with you as ME, and I look forward to seeing all you do. 

Zach: Your dedication to everything you do is inspiring. The fact that you basically ran the Boy Scouts while also being a news editor is incredible. You are the biggest Nats fan I know, and I’m sure you will fill your role as ME with that same passion and confidence. 

Lia: You are going to be an amazing EIC. Your drive and work ethic is inspiring and your kindness and care for others shows through in everything you do. I’ve really enjoyed getting to know you over the past two years, and I can’t wait to see what your leadership will bring to The Hatchet. 

Tiffany: I am so glad to have seen you grow from contributing design editor into an incredible news editor over the past two years. Your care for others and strong work ethic is so admirable, and I miss getting to hang out with you every Sunday in the townhouse. I can’t wait to see what your future holds!   

Hannah: I am constantly inspired by your hard work and dedication to The Hatchet and everything you do. I am so glad to have been on your ed board this year and I appreciate the care and thoughtfulness you put into every meeting. You’re an incredible writer and I’ll miss reading your pieces each week, but I know you are going to thrive at The Post!       

Andrew: You have the most amazing vocabulary of anyone I know. Your thoughtful insights add so much to every ed board meeting and I look forward to seeing what you do with the opinion section next year.  

[gwh_image id=”1140683″ credit=”Parth Kotak | Staff Photographer” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”][/gwh_image]

Lillian: You have done a great job leading the photo section this year. You dedicate yourself wholeheartedly to your work, and I wish I could be half as talented a photographer as you are. I know you’re going to have an incredible future ahead of you! 

Arielle: Thank you for being one of my first friends on staff. You are such a talented photographer, and I am constantly blown away by your work. You bring so much kindness and dedication to The Hatchet, and I’m excited to see all of your work in the future! 

Emily: You are a constant positive force in everything you do. You’re a talented writer, dedicated editor, and a fantastic friend. I am so happy to have gotten to know you on ed board these past two years, and I know you are going to do amazing in law school. Always remember that sports is the best section and anyone who says otherwise doesn’t know what they’re talking about!  

Lizzie: Your attention to detail is incredible. You are one of the most dedicated members of staff and are so welcoming to everyone. Thank you for catching all of my copy errors when we go over pages, I’m sorry there are so many of them! Whether you go on to do journalism or anything else, you are going to be amazing because you put your all into everything you do. 

Riley: I’ve loved getting to work with you as my contrib over the past year. Even though you’ve had to do your entire job online, you’ve been an amazing editor and you’re always willing to jump in and help. Thank you so much for everything and I can’t wait to see what you accomplish! 

Sidney: Thank you so much for being a fantastic graphics editor. You were one of my first friends on staff, and I’ve really enjoyed getting to know you over the years. You are so creative and talented, and your dedication to The Hatchet is amazing! 

Grace and Isabella: You two are going to be an incredible design team. Your attention to detail and creative drive will allow you to above and beyond what you could ever imagine. I can’t wait to see what you come up with, and I know that team design is in great hands. 

Aaron: You are an incredibly talented web designer. The way you turned around your section and really made it your own is inspiring. Thank you for always making my ideas come to life and creating the most incredible visual displays. 

Olivia D: Thank you for teaching me everything I know about being a design editor. You not only taught me how to master InDesign, you also taught me how to lead my section with poise and patience. I wouldn’t be where I am today without your help and support!

Meg, Calee, Lindsey, and Ann: Thank you all for putting up with my bizarre schedule and constant ramblings about the University. Lindsey and Ann, thank you for letting me turn our apartment into the townhouse every Sunday night for the past year. I don’t know what I would do without you all, and I’m so glad to have such amazing best friends.