U.S. Capitol Police officer killed in Capitol attack transported to GW Hospital

Grace Hromin | Assistant Photo Editor
The procession from the hospital to the D.C. Chief Medical Examiner’s Office included U.S. Capitol Police and U.S. Park Police.

The U.S. Capitol Police officer killed during Friday’s attack at the U.S. Capitol Building was transported to the GW Hospital, according to the Metropolitan Police Department.

Kristen Metzger, an MPD spokesperson, said the department participated in a procession carrying the officer’s body from the hospital to the D.C. Chief Medical Examiner’s Office at about 4 p.m. Friday afternoon. The procession came less than three hours after a vehicle rammed into two Capitol Police officers near Constitution Avenue before another officer shot and killed the suspect after he exited the vehicle and lunged with a knife.

Capitol Police officer William Evans died from injuries sustained during the Capitol attack, according to a release. He had served in the force for 18 years.

“It is with profound sadness that I share the news of the passing of Officer William ‘Billy’ Evans this afternoon from injuries he sustained following an attack at the North Barricade by a lone assailant,” Acting Capitol Police Chief Yogananda Pittman said. “Officer Evans had been a member of the United States Capitol Police for 18 years. He began his USCP service on March 7, 2003, and was a member of the Capitol Division’s First Responder’s Unit. Please keep Officer Evans and his family in your thoughts and prayers.”

Capitol Police said in a release earlier this afternoon that Evans was transported by a police cruiser to the hospital. The suspect was transported by D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services to the hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries at about 1:30 p.m., the release states.

The other officer struck by the car remains stable and is in “non-threatening condition.”

Metzger said MPD led the procession of Evans’ body as a “courtesy” to escort the officer from the hospital to the Chief Medical Examiner’s Office. The procession also included officers from the Capitol Police and U.S. Park Police.

She added that MPD also often helps guide the procession from the office to a funeral home after the incident.

“We just want to offer our condolences to the U.S. Capitol Police for the loss of their officer,” Metzger said. “It’s just a really tragic event that occurred today, and we also offer our condolences to the family of the officer.”

She said MPD officers will lead an investigation into the attack, engaging with suspects and witnesses from the scene of the crime while gathering video evidence.

“Anytime an officer discharges their weapon in the District of Columbia, we would do the investigation into that, and then because there’s deaths involved, we also investigate any deaths in the District, whether they’re a homicide or just a death,” she said.

GW issued an alert to the University community about the police activity outside the hospital at 3:30 p.m.

“Increased police presence on the 900-BLK 23rd St NW,” the alert reads. “Expect delays. No threat to campus.”

President Joe Biden ordered that the White House flags be lowered to half-mast just before 5 p.m.

“Jill and I were heartbroken to learn of the violent attack at a security checkpoint on the U.S. Capitol grounds, which killed Officer William Evans of the U.S. Capitol Police and left a fellow officer fighting for his life,” Biden said in a statement. We send our heartfelt condolences to Officer Evans’ family and everyone grieving his loss. We know what a difficult time this has been for the Capitol, everyone who works there and those who protect it.”

The attack comes nearly three months after a mob of rioters stormed the Capitol in January, killing one Capitol Police officer during the attack. The insurrection gave way to heightened security measures, with National Guard members occupying campus before the presidential inauguration.

Capitol Police extended security fencing around the Capitol building after the Jan. 6 attacks, but officers started removing the fencing last month, citing no “known, credible threats.”