Trustees approve 2.1 percent undergraduate tuition hike next year

Undergraduate tuition will reach nearly $60,000 next academic year for incoming freshmen and rising sophomore students.

Officials announced they will increase tuition by 2.1 percent to $59,780 for students not covered under the University’s fixed tuition policy, which trustees decided to phase out starting with the Class of 2024, and the total cost of attendance will increase about 2.65 percent. Administrators also intend to implement a plan to decrease the number of housing rates from 17 to five after delaying it due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“The new structure streamlines rate options from 17 to five in an effort to enhance parity between typical first- and second-year housing assignment pricing as well as between typical third-year housing and nearby off-campus pricing,” officials said in the release. “Detailed information about the housing application process for academic year 2021-22 will be announced by early April and posted on the Campus Living and Residential Education website.”

Trustees increased undergraduate tuition by 3 percent for this academic year but later approved a 10 percent tuition discount during remote instruction.

Trustees delayed a decision on next year’s tuition cost from the typical approval at the Board’s February meeting, citing the uncertainty of the ongoing pandemic, but committed to a cost of attendance increase of no more than 3 percent.

“The Board of Trustees at its February meeting approved a range of tuition options in light of the evolving situation with the ongoing pandemic, allowing the university to make the final determination as fall plans became more clear,” the release states.

American University officials announced last month they would not increase tuition next year but will end the 10 percent tuition discount the university has implemented during remote learning this year.

GW also released graduate tuition rates for next year, which vary by program.