LeBlanc issues statement condemning anti-Asian violence following Atlanta shooting

University+President+Thomas+LeBlanc+said+at+a+Faculty+Senate+meeting+that+admissions+staff+are+responding+to+nationwide+declines+in+high+school+graduates+by+decreasing+overall+enrollment.+
File Photo by Ari Golub | Photographer
University President Thomas LeBlanc said at a Faculty Senate meeting that admissions staff are responding to nationwide declines in high school graduates by decreasing overall enrollment.

University President Thomas LeBlanc said in an email Thursday that he condemns “all acts of violence and hate” in light of a recent shooting in Atlanta of eight people, most of whom were Asian American.

LeBlanc said although the motives of the shooter are “still under investigation,” recent violence against the Asian community is “deeply disturbing.” Data has shown that anti-Asian violence and hate incidents specifically against Asian-American women have increased this year amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

“As President of the George Washington University, I want members of our community to know that there is no place on our campus for violence and hate, and I am unwavering in this sentiment,” LeBlanc said in the email. “I send my deepest condolences to members of our community impacted by the shootings and to the family, friends and neighbors of the eight people who had their lives taken.”