Women’s basketball racks up two A-10 postseason honors

Graduate student guard Jasmine Whitney and freshman center Ali Brigham were honored with Atlantic 10 end-of-season awards, according to a press release Tuesday.

Whitney was selected to the All-Defensive team and Brigham joined the All-Rookie squad.

Brigham is the second consecutive Colonial to be named to the All-Rookie team after redshirt sophomore forward Mayowa Taiwo was selected last season. Whitney is the first Colonial to be on the All-Defensive team since 2019-graduate guard Mei-Lyn Bautista achieved the honor following the 2018-19 season.

Whitney led the conference with 63 steals and 2.9 steals per game. She reached 20 more steals than any other player in the league and ranks No. 16 in the country. Whitney also ranked second in the A-10 with 4.7 assists per game, and she notched a 2.7 assist-to-turnover ratio – good for second in the conference.

On the All-Defensive team, Whitney joined Dayton redshirt senior guard Araion Bradshaw, VCU senior guard Taya Robinson and Saint Louis juniors forward Brooke Flowers and guard Ciaja Harbison.

Brigham enjoyed a breakout freshman campaign, leading GW with 12.1 points per game on 51.5 percent shooting. Her scoring average sits at No. 16 in the A-10, and her shooting efficiency ranks No. 4. Brigham’s 24 blocks were more than twice as many as any other Colonial and good for fifth-best in the conference.

Brigham joined fellow freshmen VCU center Tenin Magassa, Rhode Island guard Catherine Cairns, Richmond forward Addie Budnik and VCU guard Sarah Te-Biasu.