Weekend Outlook – Volunteer at a rooftop garden

Camille DeSanto | Assistant Photo Editor
Volunteer at D.C.’s largest rooftop garden to learn about sustainable farming and enjoy a meal made from the fruits of your own labor.

Spend the first weekend of the month outdoors and in museums. Celebrate Women’s History Month on Friday, then enjoy a bonfire with friends and finish off the weekend attending a class on urban farming.

Friday

Sonya Clark: “Tatter, Bristle, and Mend”

Open through May 31, this new exhibit at the National Museum of Women in the Arts displays more than 100 pieces made by Sonya Clark, a local multimedia artist. Clark’s works emphasize Black history and identity in America, and she incorporates all sorts of material including beads, foreign currency, plants and pencils. Entry requires purchasing a timed ticket to ensure visitors are socially distanced as they explore the exhibit. 

1250 New York Ave. NW. Time slots available between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Scan your GWorld online for $8 student ticket. 

Saturday

The Campfire by The Creamery

Take advantage of the warm weather and enjoy a bonfire night with up to five other friends at Union Market. The number of fire pits are limited, and no reservations are taken, so make sure you show up early. You can indulge in The Creamery’s famous ice cream, or you can purchase a s’mores kit ($25) to immerse yourself in a camp-like atmosphere. 

1309 5th St. NE. Every weekend from 5 to 7 p.m. through March 27. Must purchase either ice cream or s’mores kit

Sunday

Volunteer at H Street Farms

For those who want to learn about urban, sustainable farming, spend your Sunday volunteering at the District’s largest rooftop garden. Explore one of the three greenhouses that raises dozens of varieties of fruits and vegetables, then enjoy a meal made from ingredients you handpicked yourself. You can either register on Eventbrite or contact the owners directly if you want to make this a group event with friends. 

910 Bladensburg Road NE. Every Sunday from noon to 4 p.m., weather permitting. Free.