Weekly recap: Women’s tennis, men’s water polo earn first wins of the season

Arielle Bader | Assistant Photo Editor
Midfielder Kelly Amador heads the ball during the game against Saint Louis University Sunday. The Colonials fell to the Billikens 1–2, ending in second place in the A-10.

With fall and spring sports playing during the spring semester amid the COVID-19 pandemic, keep up to date with weekly recaps of home and away games.

Tuesday
Men’s soccer
The Colonials (1-1) hit the road for the first time this season, taking UMBC (1-0) to the wire in a 0–1 double overtime loss. GW outshot the Retrievers 14-12 and launched four more balls on frame. Senior forward Oscar Haynes Brown and graduate student midfielder Sandro Weber pelted three shots apiece, but freshman goalkeeper Quantrell Jones made nine saves to keep a clean sheet.

In the 105th minute, freshman forward Taylor Calheira squeaked a ball by sophomore goalkeeper Justin Grady, who played the full game between the pipes for GW.

The squad will be back in action Saturday to take on James Madison at 7 p.m.

Friday
Women’s tennis
The squad (1-1) bounced back from a season-opening loss to dominate Coppin State (0-3) 7–0. Sophomores Luciana Kunkel and Sarah Bodewes, playing in the No. 2 doubles pairing, dominated their match, winning by a clear 6–0 decision.

Freshman Stella Wiesemann and graduate student Alexis Nelson nabbed the other doubles victory at the No. 1 spot, giving the Colonials the early lead heading into singles matches. All six spots emerged victorious, with Wiesemann, Kunkel and Bodewes winning in straight sets.

The Colonials will be back in action March 7 at Delaware after their Sunday matchup with James Madison was postponed.

Saturday
Men’s water polo
In the first two of three games this weekend, men’s water polo (1-3, 0-3 MAWPC) dropped a doubleheader to No. 9 Navy (6-1, 3-1 MAWPC) and Bucknell (3-1, 3-1 MAWPC). In the first game against the Midshipmen, the Colonials were narrowly defeated 16–12. The squad led after the first frame, but offensive bursts in the second and fourth quarters gave Navy the advantage. Senior utility player Andras Levai led the team with four goals.

In the second game of the day, one goal was the difference in an 8–7 matchup with Bucknell. Senior center Gabriele Simonti notched three goals and a team-high four blocks, and freshman goalkeeper Luca Castorina tabbed 17 saves in the effort.

The squad faced another matchup Sunday.

Lacrosse
Navy (3-1) trounced the Colonials (0-1) in its season-opener 22–2. The Midshipmen scored early and often, notching 14 unanswered goals in the first half. The squad almost averaged a goal every two minutes. GW got on the board within the first two minutes of the second half after senior attacker Ionna Mantzouratos found the back of the net.

Navy responded with a five-goal streak, and junior attacker Sophia Watkinson tacked on GW’s final goal with 13 minutes to play. Three more scores from the Midshipmen buried the Colonials further. GW was only able to get six shots, three of which were on goal, while Navy threw 46 shots, 36 of which were on goal, at GW’s goaltenders.

The squad will play again Saturday at Old Dominion at 1 p.m.

Volleyball
The Colonials (1-7, 0-5 A-10) dropped its third straight game to Rhode Island (3-4, 2-1 A-10) in straight sets. The squad swung at a .138 clip, recording 24 kills on the road. But the Rams’ offense dominated the matchup as they notched 48 kills on a 34.3 attacking percentage. Junior outside hitter Paz Dozie-Nnamah paced the squad with six kills and senior middle blocker Callie Fauntleroy followed up with five of her own.

The squad narrowly lost the first set by a slim 25–20 margin. But the Rams turned up the heat in the second and third sets, winning them by nine and 10 points, respectively.

GW will be back in action Saturday to take on Fordham in the Smith Center. First serve is slated for 1 p.m.

Men’s swimming and diving
Two divers – sophomore Spencer Bystrom and senior Nick Tomczyk – competed at the James Madison Duke Dog Invitational. Bystrom led the field for the men’s 3M, earning a 303.15 and the victory. He also took second in the men’s 1M, and Tomczyk finished right behind him at No. 3 with a score of 269.85. Tomczyk also nabbed No. 4 in the 3M competition.

Women’s swimming and diving
Sophomore Caitlin Inall and junior Carolina Stocchi represented GW at the James Madison Duke Dog Invitational on the women’s side. Inall paced the Colonials on the 1M and 3M, earning No. 9 and No. 10 finishes. Stocchi followed behind with No. 13 and No. 16 finishes, respectively, in the same events.

Softball
The Colonials (0-3) fell to Virginia (4-5, 2-3 ACC) and James Madison (2-0) in its doubleheader to kick off the season. Against the Cavaliers, redshirt junior utility player Sierra Lange singled in the fourth and scored on a fielder’s choice to give GW the early lead. Virginia found the scoresheet in the bottom of the sixth, batting in two runs from a triple and scoring a runner on an error. The squad recorded one more run in the seventh but couldn’t make up the deficit.

Graduate student utility player Faith Weber singled up the middle to give GW the edge in the bottom of the second and a Lange single in the bottom of the fifth pushed the lead to 3–1. Graduate student utility player Jessica Linquist brought another run in with one inning to play. But the Dukes scored seven unanswered runs in the seventh inning to walk away with the comeback victory.

Sunday
Men’s water polo
The Colonials closed out the regular season, earning their first win of the season over La Salle (2-4, 2-4 MAWPC) 9–8. The team jumped out to an early 3–1 lead after the first frame and kept a one-goal advantage heading into the half. GW held a steady 8–6 lead heading into the fourth quarter before La Salle knotted the game at eight in the final frame. Levai netted the game-winner with just under three minutes to play.

Five different Colonials scored, and Levai led the pack with three goals. Castorina stopped 14 Explorer attempts in his first collegiate victory.

The second game of the doubleheader against Navy was canceled, and GW will be back in business Saturday at the Mid-Atlantic Water Polo Conference Championship.

Softball
The squad returned to action for another doubleheader against Virginia. The Cavaliers started game one off hot, scoring two runs in the first inning. The Colonials responded in the top of the second to take a 3–2 lead thanks to a RBI from Linquist and Lange. Virginia knotted the score in the bottom of the sixth, sending GW into extra innings for the first time this year. A double to left center would give the Cavaliers the walk-off win and GW’s third loss of the weekend.

GW wrapped the weekend winless as it fell to Virginia in game two of the doubleheader. After four scoreless innings, Virginia scored in the bottom of the fifth. The Cavaliers would add two more runs in the next inning. Freshman pitcher Alexa Williams scored the Colonials’ lone run of the game, smashing a home run over the center field wall.

GW will play again Saturday against Mount Saint Mary’s for its home opener. First pitch is slated for noon.

Women’s soccer
The Colonials (0-1) kicked off the season with a 4–0 loss to Georgetown (2-0). The Hoyas, who paced two goals each half, outshot GW 16-5. The Colonials only placed two shots on frame. Junior midfielder Maria Pereja and senior midfielder Kelly Amador took all five shots for the team, with Pereja leading the team with three shots.

Redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Tamaki Machi started in goal and notched four saves. Junior goalkeeper Erica Lorenzana also saw nearly 10 minutes of action between the pipes and didn’t face a shot.

The squad will host Delaware State Thursday at 3 p.m. in its home opener.

Men’s swimming and diving
The squad found the top of the podium four times in its dual meet with Navy but couldn’t catch up to the Midshipmen, who notched 55 more points on the day. Sophomore Zach Hu nabbed first place finishes in the 500 yard freestyle and the 1,000 yard freestyle. Freshman Karol Mlynarczyk took the No. 1 spot in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 47.44. Sophomore Eddie Cosic paced the field in the 200 yard breaststroke with a 2:12.39.

The men’s program will be back in action March 5 at the Navy Invitational.

Women’s swimming and diving
On the women’s side, swimmers grabbed 64 points with two finishes atop the podium but still trailed the Midshipmen’s 162 points. The Colonials swept the top-three finishes in the 200 yard IM with senior Andrea Ho, junior Ann Juneau and junior Isabel Berdecio claiming the No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 spots, respectively. Ho and Juneau also combined with freshmen Ashley Khoo and Marlee Rickert to nab the 400 yard freestyle relay victory with a time of 3:36.19.

The Colonials will return to the pool March 5 at the Navy Invitational.