Chinatown community leaders talk preserving cultural identity of neighborhood

The+Hatchet+sat+down+with+Chinatown+community+activists%2C+residents+and+local+leaders+to+discuss+challenges+facing+the+neighborhood%2C+including+high+rent+prices%2C+Chinese-run+businesses+flocking+to+the+Maryland+Virginia+suburbs+and+the+areas+struggle+to+retain+its+cultural+identity.+
The Hatchet sat down with Chinatown community activists, residents and local leaders to discuss challenges facing the neighborhood, including high rent prices, Chinese-run businesses flocking to the Maryland Virginia suburbs and the area’s struggle to retain its cultural identity.

Chinatown’s population boomed to more than 1,500 residents of Chinese heritage between 1930 and 1950, but that number dropped to just more than 300 residents this year.
The area has a long history – by the late 1800s, the Chinese population began to grow in the District. But it wasn’t until Federal Triangle was developed in the 1920s that Chinese residents were forced to move a few blocks north on H St. NW between 6th and 7th streets to what is now known as Chinatown.
 The Hatchet sat down with Chinatown community activists, residents and local leaders to discuss challenges facing the neighborhood, including high rent prices, Chinese-run businesses flocking to the Maryland Virginia suburbs and the area’s struggle to retain its cultural identity.