The Hatchet elects DeGroot as 2021-22 editor in chief

Courtesy of Lia DeGroot
Lia DeGroot was elected Saturday to serve as The Hatchet’s editor in chief for Volume 118.

The Hatchet’s staff members elected junior Lia DeGroot as the next editor in chief Saturday night.

DeGroot – a journalism major from Longmont, Colorado – will lead the paper’s 118th volume, which starts in May.

She currently leads coverage of health and sciences, which has included reporting on experts leading COVID-19 research, disparities in the distribution of coronavirus cases and vaccines and the mental health impact of the pandemic.

The previous year, she served as an assistant news editor leading metro coverage, during which she reported on gentrification in Foggy Bottom, chronicled the work of EMeRG employees and traced calls for community leaders to repair rundown properties.

DeGroot’s goals for the next year include strengthening community relationships, expanding professional development opportunities for staff and fostering community among staff.

When she is not working at The Hatchet, DeGroot can be found hiking, thrift shopping and visiting coffee shops.

She will also become the president of Hatchet Publications, Inc., pending approval by The Hatchet’s Board of Directors.

The Hatchet is an editorially and financially independent student newspaper serving the GW and Foggy Bottom community. It is the second oldest D.C. newspaper after The Washington Post.