Valentine’s Day takeout: Restaurants offering specials to-go

Photo Illustration by Sydney Walsh | Staff Photographer
The District Fish Wife in Union Market offers couples the chance to cook an elaborate seafood meal with prepared ingredients and a recipe to follow.

Rather than heading out to eat this Valentine’s Day, order in takeout to enjoy with your best friend or that special someone.

With a cap of 25 percent capacity for indoor dining in the District, reservations for Valentine’s Day dinners are going quick. But several restaurants, like Le Diplomate and Baker’s Daughter, are also offering their Valentine’s Day to-go specials.

Here are some Valentine’s Day packages to check out for your romantic evening in.

Le Diplomate
If you’d rather be in Paris, the city of love, this Sunday, order a dinner package for two from Le Diplomate. The modern French restaurant is offering a pre-set Valentine’s Day meal package for two ($140) that includes oysters with zesty breadcrumbs, creamed spinach and parmesan; braised short rib with glazed root vegetables and horseradish spätzle; mushroom soup and salad. For dessert, you can indulge in a raspberry chocolate tart and a half bottle of sparkling wine hand-picked by the in-house sommelier. Add on caviar and toppings for $50 or a caviar inclusive shellfish box with crab, jumbo shrimp and salmon tartare ($150).

1601 14th St. NW. Pre-order until close Friday. Pick up package Friday through Sunday between 1 and 4 p.m. Order delivery via Doordash or Caviar. 

The Dabney
Check out The Dabney’s five-course pre-set menu ($145 per person) to celebrate your relationship. The special menu includes first course options like foie gras with charred sweet potato brioche and apple, a second course of roasted beets with smoked huckleberry preserves and sheep’s milk ricotta and, for the main course, a grilled lobster tail with a floral spiced white peppercorn cream sauce. Choose between two options for the fourth course: sorghum glazed beef short rib or grilled sunburst trout. For dessert, you’ll get a dark chocolate and peanut dish with bourbon and mint.

122 Blagden Alley NW. Order online for pickup. Reservations for dining at the restaurant open three days ahead of time. 

The District Fish Wife
If you want to treat your partner to a home-cooked meal but don’t know what to cook, the Valentine’s Day dinner kit ($20 per person) from The District Fish Wife is your go-to. The kit comes with pre-prepared canapé appetizers to enjoy while you prepare your choice of Hawaiian Kampachi crudo with citrus coconut dressing or lump blue crab salad with spicy Vietnamese dressing. The recipe instructions are included with the ingredients. For your next course, you have a recipe choice of sea scallops or king salmon both with leek and lemon risotto.

Union Market, 1309 5th St. NE. Pre-order through close Friday. Pick up kit Friday through Sunday. 

Baker’s Daughter
If breakfast is your favorite meal, order “Breakfast in Bed” for you and your partner from Baker’s Daughter. This Valentine’s Day special serves two for $56. The spread includes a cold-pressed juice, coffee or espresso; a basket of breakfast pastries like banana bread and buttered croissants; and a choice between brioche french toast or breakfast taquitos. For something heartier, you can choose steak and eggs with whipped polenta for an additional $18.

Ivy City, 1402 Okie St. NE. Available for pickup Saturday or Sunday or for delivery through Grubhub. 

Al Dente Ristorante
If you’re looking for a Lady and the Tramp moment, opt for the Valentine’s Day deal from Al Dente Ristorante. Instead of a pre-set menu, the restaurant is offering one appetizer, one entree and one dessert for $29.95 per person. Its menu is filled with classic Italian favorites like caprese salad, fried calamari, cacio e pepe, chicken parmesan and a laundry list of pastas. Dessert options include tiramisu, apple tarte and panna cotta. For celebratory cheers, add a mini bottle of prosecco to your meal for $7.95.

Wesley Heights, 3201 New Mexico Ave. NW. Available for pickup, dine in or delivery through Grubhub Friday through Sunday.