GW Hospital fined $100,000 for alleged hazardous waste violations

Officials+said+the+patient+who+was+refused+testing+at+the+GW+Hospital+did+not+fit+the+criteria+for+testing.+
File Photo by Alexander Welling
Officials said the patient who was refused testing at the GW Hospital did not fit the criteria for testing.

The GW Hospital will pay a $108,304 settlement for allegedly violating hazardous waste regulations, according to a press release from the Environmental Protection Agency.

The hospital was cited for violating the Resource Conservation Act, a law that creates the framework for the proper management of hazardous and non-hazardous solid waste, the release states. The settlement is an indication of compliance by the hospital and its cooperation with the efforts of the EPA’s investigation into the alleged violations, but the GW Hospital has not admitted liability to the alleged violations as a part of the settlement, according to the release.

Among the violations are “failure to label and date hazardous waste containers, storage of hazardous waste for greater than 90 days without a storage permit, failure to maintain aisle space necessary for emergency response, failure to minimize the risk of release of hazardous waste and failure to conduct weekly inspections of the hazardous waste accumulation area,” the release states.

GW Hospital spokesperson Susan Griffiths did not return a request for comment.