Events to celebrate Black History Month for every day of February

One+event+this+month+features+three+scholars+critically+examining+and+deconstructing+narratives+about+Black+female+sexuality%2C+intimacy+and+joy.+
Camille DeSanto | Assistant Photo Editor
One event this month features three scholars critically examining and deconstructing narratives about Black female sexuality, intimacy and joy.

If you’re not in D.C. to attend in-person events, there are still scores of online ways to celebrate Black History Month.

For one, Black Heritage Celebration kicks off at the University Monday with a conversation about the various definitions of Blackness. Outside of GW, you can attend book talks, conversations with filmmakers and historical discussions on topics ranging from Black representation in sports to Frederick Douglass’s life.

Here’s a rundown of ways you can recognize Black History Month for every day of February:

Sidney Lee | Graphics Editor

Feb. 1 | Community + Conversations with a Docent, Creative Griots 
Take a guided virtual tour of key objects from the African American History and Culture Museum.

Feb. 1 | Black Men and Mental Health Recovery: An Intersectionalities Approach 
Listen to a discussion led by Royal Holloway University of London Professor Frank Keating on the inequalities facing Black, Asian and ethnic people in accessing mental health care.

Feb. 2 | VIRTUAL Black Abolitionist Tour of London
Sign up for a virtual tour of locations around London where Black activists left an impact on the city.

Feb. 3 | Community + Conversations, Making a Way 
Join an online discussion with docents from the African American Museum of History and Culture on successes of Black individuals while they faced injustice in fields like civil rights, sports and education.

Feb. 3 | Black Discourse and Black Rhetorics: A Conversation 
Tune into a discussion by Howard University and University of Pittsburgh professors on anti-racism in education. The conversation is part of a broader yearlong project at the University of Maryland to explore anti-racism in teaching and research.

Feb. 3 | Interview with a Legend: Arthur Torrington CBE 
Join a media-driven Q&A with director Arthur Torrington on his contributions to Black representation in film.

Feb. 4 | Smithsonian Social Studies Online: Black History Month
Take part in an online lecture by the National Museum of American History on Black History Month in the United States.

Feb. 5 | Rhythm in Black: Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow
Celebrate Black History Month with a daylong event featuring speakers, performances and roundtable discussions.

Feb. 6 | Frederick Douglass in Capitol Hill Walking Tour 
Tag along to an in-person walking tour of Frederick Douglass’s life in D.C.

Feb. 6 | Black History Month Trivia – Virtual Program Hosted by Potomac Library
Participate in a Kahoot trivia contest on Black History Month facts.

Feb. 7 | Boss Bae Black History Month Pop Up Shop 
Look around a virtual pop-up shop featuring 30 Black-owned businesses.

Feb. 8 | Poetry Night 
Share or read poetry by your favorite Black poets during an online event hosted by the Hackley Public Library in Michigan.

Feb. 8 | Pleasure Politics: Desire, Agency and Black Women’s Engagements with Pleasure 
Join a discussion led by author Joan Morgan and feminist scholars Treva Lindsey and Shoniqua Roach on Black female sexuality, intimacy and joy.

Feb. 9 | Between the Lines: FOUR HUNDRED SOULS
Hear readings of the contributions of 90 authors who broke down a 400-year journey of Black Americans from 1619 to present day.

Feb. 9 | OBHS Black History Month Speaker Series 
Tune into a speaker series featuring playwright and filmmaker Cheryl Foggo, novelist Lawrence Hill and storyteller Sandra Whiting on Black identity.

Feb. 10 | Black is More Than a Player
Listen to a discussion hosted by GW’s Sports Business Association on roles Black people hold in the sports world that are not heavily covered by the media.

Feb. 11 | Open Mic: Black is What I Say It Is 
Participate in or listen to stories during an open mic hosted by GW’s ALIANZA.

Feb. 11 | Black is Global 
Join a discussion on Black liberation across the world and the “impacts of African American revolutionaries domestically and abroad,” hosted by the GWU African Students Association, Students Against Imperialism and Ethiopian-Eritrean Student Association.

Feb. 12 | (Re)Making History: Memory, Mythmaking and the Civil Rights Movement 
Attend a lecture by Hasan Jeffries, an associate professor of history at The Ohio State University, on misconceptions about the civil rights movement and Black activism.

Feb. 13 | Under the Same Roof: Enslaved and Free Servants at the Lee-Fendall House
Walk through an in-person tour of the Lee-Fendall House in Alexandria, Virginia, from the perspective of the Black enslaved people who worked on the property before and after the Civil War.

Feb. 14 | Black History Month Launch with Congress of Black Women
Watch a documentary screening of “She Did That,” a film that explores the pursuits of Black women in business and entrepreneurship.

Feb. 15 | Black is Innovation 
Sit in on an interactive panel discussion on the role of Black professionals in the technology industry hosted by GW’s Multicultural Business Student Association.

Feb. 16 | Museum of African Diaspora’s Blatant Series: Art, Joy and Rage
Tune into a live forum with documentary filmmaker Yoruba Richen, filmmaker and writer Maori Karmael Holmes and artist Ashara Ekundayo on Black art, joy and rage.

Feb. 17 | Durham Black History Month Book Club 
Sign up for the launch of a yearlong book club that focuses on Black literature and representation.

Feb. 18 | Mariano’s Celebrates Black History Month with Itonia Scott of Essie Marie’s 
Prepare a chile lemon lime salmon fajita salad with cilantro dish alongside Black chef and business owner Itonia Scott.

Feb. 18 | Hair Love: Building a Legacy Through Representation with Matthew A. Cherry 
Chat with Matthew A. Cherry, the director of the award-winning short film “Hair Love,” on his inspiration and the message of the film.

Feb. 19 | Black is the Future 
Join a panel discussion of Black GW alumni on their experiences in the professional world and vision for their futures. 

Feb. 19 | Being on the Frontlines of History with Yamiche Alcindor 
Participate in a conversation with White House Correspondent Yamiche Alcindor from PBS NewsHour on her reporting experiences and the future of political journalism hosted by the Association of Black Journalists and GW Black Pre-Law Association.

Feb. 20 | African Roots and Rhythms of Hambone Body Percussion with Unique Derique 
Learn the African roots and rhythms of Hambone body percussion during a virtual event hosted by the Oakland Public Library in California.

Feb. 21 | MoAD’s African Diaspora Film Club: ‘How it Feels to Be Free’
Listen to a film discussion of “How it Feels to Be Free” hosted by The African Diaspora Film Club.

Feb. 22 | Black Hair Care Clinic 
Tune into an information clinic on Black hair care for yourself or your children hosted by expert Nietra Hood.

Feb. 23 | Black is Intellectual
As part of GW’s Black Heritage Celebration, join a symposium “celebrating the work and achievement of black intellectuals” with a discussion panel, Q&A and networking session hosted by GW’s National Society of Black Engineers.

Feb. 24 | 2021 Black History Month Celebration and Lecture 
Engage in a virtual Black History Month Celebration featuring a lecture on Black representation, identity and diversity and a poet.

Feb. 24 | Coalition of Black Excellence Week Summit ’21: Thrive Together
Partake in a summit featuring Black keynote speakers and panels with Fortune 500 members, government officials, activists, health professionals and entrepreneurs.

Feb. 25 | Black History Month Intergenerational Community Dinner 
Bring your own dinner for a discussion on the history of the Afro-LGBTQ community with a raffle drawing hosted by the African American Community Initiative, the Pride Initiative and the LGBT Commission.

Feb. 26 | Black History Month Story Walk and Campfire
Show up for an in-person nighttime walk and campfire at the Meadowside Nature Center in Rockville, Maryland, to commemorate Black History Month.

Feb. 27 | The 2021 Virginia Black History Month Gala 
Sign up for a virtual Gala hosted by the Virginia Black History Month Association featuring speakers and entertainment. 

Feb. 28 | Call and Response: Intimate Talks with Jazz Icons
Listen to world-famous Black Jazz musicians on the inspiration behind their music and what it’s like to be an artist “
during these challenging times.”