Weekend Outlook – Learn about a selection of études with an American pianist

Photo Illustration by Camille DeSanto | Assistant Photo Editor
Watch Jenny Lin speak about and perform pieces from masters like Chopin, Liszt, George Gershwin and Philip Glass this weekend.

This weekend, hear about a selection of études with pianist Jenny Lin, explore a historic house in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia, and learn about Winston Churchill’s various illnesses. 

Friday

‘A Brief and Modern History of Piano Études’ with Jenny Lin

In this online performance, sponsored by Washington Performing Arts, American pianist Jenny Lin will perform a selection of études – pieces that combine artistic expression with technical skill. The pianist will introduce work by classical composers Chopin and Liszt, modernist composer George Gershwin and modern American composers Philip Glass and William Bolcom. Lin will begin discussions on each piece with a short video or interview about the work and composer.

Online. 8 p.m. $20. Buy tickets and find more information here.

Saturday

‘Stories in the Architecture’ at the Lee-Fendall House

Take the Blue Line west to tour the historic Lee-Fendall home and garden in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. Built in 1785, the home has housed many wealthy Virginia families as well as the enslaved people who operated and supported the home. During this tour, you’ll explore parts of the house that aren’t usually open to the general public, like the attic. If you can’t make it on Saturday, the museum also offers private tours by appointment. 

The Lee-Fendall House Museum and Garden. 614 Oronoco St., Old Town Alexandria, Virginia. 2 p.m. $10. Buy tickets and find more information here.

Sunday

‘Churchill’s Illnesses: Resilience and Recovery’ seminar

The National Churchill Leadership Center, housed on the first floor of Gelman Library, is hosting an online seminar exploring the former prime minister’s illnesses. International Churchill Society Executive Director Justin Reash will host this conversation with Allister Vale and John Scadding, the authors of the new book “Winston Churchill’s Illnesses.” Gail Rosseau, a professor of neurosurgery at the School of Medicine and Health Sciences, will also participate in the seminar. 

Online. 2 p.m. Free. Register here.