New app works to offer students information on fastest, cheapest meal deliveries

A new food delivery app is hoping to save students money and time on their orders.

Matthew Bouchner, the president of MealMe – an app that compares deals from major food delivery services like DoorDash and Uber Eats – said he plans to expand the app’s selection of local restaurants to compare the prices of meals from spots students frequent around campus. Bouchner said he hopes the app helps students save money on food delivery as developers work to boost the app’s visibility around Foggy Bottom.

“What we are doing is going to schools individually and giving them the love and attention that they deserve, and focusing on GW and UPenn and all these individual schools, say ‘We’re launching at this school,’ and really getting to know the students and what their needs are, what restaurants they like, so that we can better cater to those students,” Bouchner said.

MealMe, which launched on the App Store last year and serves more than 70,000 users, allows students to search for restaurants or cuisine categories and compare deals across several delivery platforms to find the cheapest and fastest option. Bouchner said developers plan to meet with fraternity and sorority members and others student organizations to determine restaurant hotspots for students and promote the app to their members at meetings.

Bouchner added that developers are contacting local businesses “to better understand the offerings and cater our restaurant recommendations to student tastes.”

“What we are focused on is adding more and more local food delivery apps so that we can continue to have a larger restaurant selection,” he said.

Bouchner said MealMe currently compares meals on DoorDash, UberEats, GrubHub, Postmates, Chownow, Waitr, Bitesquad, Delivery.com and Eatstreet. As developers continue to focus on adding more restaurant options, Bouchner said combining each delivery service into one program allows MealMe to feature “the largest selection of restaurants” out of any delivery app.