Weekend Outlook – Watch a virtual tribute to MLK

This weekend, the country is looking to celebrate the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. and welcome the next president of the United States. But before another week of anticipation, take some time to relax. Watch Arlington, Virginia’s virtual MLK Day festivities, participate in virtual meditation or help out with a service project at Rock Creek Park.

Friday

Meditation workshop at the Smithsonian

For some much needed relaxation, the Smithsonian Asian Art Museum hosts a weekly meditation workshop on Fridays from noon to 12:30 p.m. Led by D.C.-based meditation teachers Aparna Sadananda and Philip Bender, the workshop is offered to anyone interested and does not require any previous knowledge or practice. Take 30 minutes to yourself this weekend and find some peace amid the chaos of current events.

Register for this virtual event here. Free.

Saturday

MLK Weekend of Service

To honor the life of Martin Luther King Jr., the Rock Creek Conservancy and National Parks Service scheduled a series of socially distant, outdoor service projects at Rock Creek Park on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. The projects include litter cleanups and invasive plant removal at the park each day. Hours are flexible, and volunteers are asked to bring their own masks, gloves and trash bags.

Rock Creek Park, 5200 Glover Road, NW. 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sign up here. Free.

Sunday

Virtual MLK tribute by the City of Arlington

This year, Arlington’s annual MLK Day celebration will take place as a virtual program debuting Sunday and will remain up to view for a few months. The program will include videos of previous years’ celebrations, comments from activist and Arlington resident Joan Mulholland and archived speeches and dances and spoken word performances by individual artists and students from the Duke Ellington School of the Arts. Best of all, you can access the tribute to King online at any point Sunday or throughout the next few months.

The program can be viewed here.