Lacrosse tabs two assistant coaches ahead of 2021 season

Lacrosse added two former Atlantic 10 players as assistant coaches, head coach Jennifer Ulehla announced Monday.

Hayley Sabol, who played at St. Joseph’s, and LeighAnn Stauffer, who played for St. Bonaventure, will join the Colonials with A-10 experience already in their pockets. Along with the duo’s 125 combined games on the field, Sabol and Stauffer also bring collegiate coaching experience.

Ulehla said the coaches’ time in the A-10 will provide GW with a “competitive advantage.”

“Their skill, knowledge and confidence will immediately impact our program and more importantly, the lives of our student-athletes,” she said in the release. “It’s an honor and a privilege to work alongside such outstanding young coaches.”

Sabol previously worked as a lacrosse assistant at The College of Saint Rose last season, supporting the team’s player development, recruiting, fundraising and community service.

After her years on the field, Sabol wrote herself into the record books as No. 1 for the most games played (74) in Hawks’ program history. She served as a co-captain during her senior season and was named to the 2016 A-10 All-Rookie Team. That year, she was the team’s only rookie to start all 19 games.

She said she is “thankful” to join GW’s program.

“GW Lacrosse is a competitive force in the A-10 Conference, and I am grateful to be able to be a part of the journey to an A-10 Championship,” Sabol said in the release. “I am eager to contribute to the success of this program and ready to build relationships with the team and the rest of the buff and blue athletics department.”

Since 2017, Stauffer has coached for Edinboro University of Pennsylvania, starting as a graduate assistant and eventually being named head coach in August 2018. After two seasons, her team reached a 5-16 overall record.

Stauffer played for the Bonnies from 2013 to 2017. She earned Second Team All A-10 honors in both her sophomore and junior seasons. After an injury shortened her senior season to just four games, Stauffer closed out her career ranking No. 12 all-time in career goals (95) and No. 15 all-time in career points (115).

“I am extremely excited and grateful for the opportunity to join this team and start this new journey,” Stauffer said in the release. “I know that the team will come back eager to play after missing out on so much this past year.”

The newest additions replace former assistants Haley Hicklen and Monica Yeakel, who left the team last year. Ulehla is approaching her second year with the program after taking the helm in June 2019.

After the COVID-19 pandemic shortened the 2020 season to just seven games, the squad is looking to make its return to the field in 2021. The team’s schedule has not been released yet.