Program on Extremism launches database of court records for U.S. Capitol riot charges

Zach Brien | Staff Photographer
Rioters lift a fence picket in front of the U.S. Capitol Wednesday. The GW Program on Extremism is tracking those charged with criminal activity during the riot in a database launched Friday.

Researchers from GW’s Program on Extremism launched a database of federal court records related to riot at the U.S. Capitol, officials announced in a tweet Friday.

President Donald Trump’s supporters rampaged the Capitol Wednesday as members of Congress were finalizing President-elect Joe Biden’s presidential win. The Program on Extremism’s database will be updated as people involved with the riot are charged for criminal activities, like illegal activity on “designated grounds” and theft.

“In keeping with our tradition of providing primary source documents to the research community and the public at large, The Program on Extremism has launched a project to create a central database of court records related to the events of January 6, 2021,” the database page reads.

As of Saturday, the program logged 43 people charged by either the federal or District government with criminal activities related to the riot. The database includes the name of the charged individual, the date and jurisdiction in which they were charged and the nature of the charge.