Weekend Outlook – Contribute to a time capsule at the Museum of American History

Camille DeSanto | Assistant Photo Editor
Submit an entry to the Smithsonian National Museum of American History’s time capsule cataloging the year 2020 for the history books.

You get to wake up Friday morning to a new year and the weekend. Here’s some activities around the city to ring it in right.

Friday

New Year’s Day brunch at HalfSmoke

Staying up past midnight on New Year’s Eve calls for sleeping in. Luckily, HalfSmoke DC is offering brunch all day Friday to celebrate the start of the new year. You can book an outdoor igloo for up to six people ($75), or order your brunch meal as take-out. You can choose from dishes like the “cash app me” ($18), a cinnamon toast crunch french toast, or the “oh, you fancy” ($18), which includes shrimp and grits with andouille sausage. Alternatively, you can pay $35 for a brunch dish and bottomless mimosas. In addition to its regular menu, you can order from its specialty pop-up menus: “Butter Me Up,” a breakfast sandwich menu with items like the “good day” burger topped with scrambled eggs, caramelized onions, Grody’s pickles, cheddar and dijonaise or from the “Get Social Pizza” menu with brick oven pies like the “boujee pig” with sopressata, fig jam, arugula and spicy honey.

HalfSmoke DC, 625 T St. NW, 8 a.m. until close. Outdoor igloo dining or take-out only. 

Saturday

Share your 2020 story with the National Museum of American History

You’ve heard the phrase “this year will be one for the books,” but 2020 has warranted a whole history book of its own. The Smithsonian National Museum of American History is creating a virtual time capsule of personal stories, and you can contribute to the capsule by making a submissionAnyone is welcome to write up to 500 words and include up to five photos and one video to describe their year. Take an hour this weekend to reflect on 2020 and you could make the history books. 

Find more information here.

Sunday

Light Yards at the Sundeck

“Stars” is an immersive installation of light design sculptures created by Australia-based sculptors Amigo&Amigo. It features large stars made with metallic mesh and lined with eye-catching lights. The sculpture installation is located right in the middle of the The Yards district of Navy Yard, which features more than 20 restaurants. You can grab dinner or drinks at restaurants like Anchovy Social, District Winery or Takorean, which offers a view of the installation, then take a leisure walk through the stars. 

Yards park, 355 Water St. SE. Nightly 6 to 10 p.m. through Jan. 10. Free.