Test your knowledge of 2020’s top stories

Question
How many sports programs were cut starting next season?
Click to see answer

Answer
Seven. Officials said they made the decision amid budget cuts during the pandemic, and the affected teams can work to register their programs as club teams.

Question
What were the two components of the 20/30 Plan?
Click to see answer

Answer
Reducing the undergraduate population by roughly 20 percent and upping the proportion of undergraduate STEM majors to 30 percent. The plan was suspended in April as a result of the pandemic, and officials recently said the plan has now been “rendered obsolete.”

Question
Which biotechnology company utilized GW as a clinical trial site for their COVID-19 vaccine?
Click to see answer

Answer
Moderna, Inc. The trial was launched in the late summer as part of Operation Warp Speed. GW’s trial exceeded its diversity targets, with more than half of the trial’s participants identifying as Black or Latinx. The Food and Drug Administration approved the Moderna vaccine earlier this month.

Question
Why did University President Thomas LeBlanc come under controversy during the first week of February?
Click to see answer

Answer
A video surfaced on social media of LeBlanc using a racially insensitive analogy while speaking with a student about fossil fuel divestment. LeBlanc apologized for the remark after facing backlash from the Student Association and other student organizations.

Question
How many students were permitted to live on campus this fall while classes remained online?
Click to see answer

Answer
Roughly 500 students. Officials allowed students with “extenuating” personal or academic circumstances to continue living in residence halls as most of the student population remained away from Foggy Bottom.

Question
Who won the Ward 2 D.C. Council special election in June?
Click to see answer

Answer
Brooke Pinto. After Jack Evans resigned from the D.C. Council in January following multiple ethics investigations, Pinto – a former assistant attorney general for D.C. Attorney General Karl Racine – declared victory in the June election to replace him. Pinto also won re-election this November to serve a full, four-year term on the Council.

Question
Why did Jessica Krug resign from her position as an associate professor?
Click to see answer

Answer
Krug revealed that she had falsely claimed for years to be Black, when she actually is a White Jewish woman. Krug specialized in Black, Latin American and African American history, and her students said they felt “betrayed” by the revelation.

Question
Who did students elect to serve as the Student Association president and executive vice president for this academic year?
Click to see answer

Answer
Howard Brookins as president and Brandon Hill as executive vice president. Brookins and Hill had served as SA senators prior to their election.

Question
What action did the Faculty Assembly take at its fall 2020 meeting?
Click to see answer

Answer
The assembly approved the launch of a faculty-wide survey on LeBlanc’s leadership. The move comes after hundreds of students, faculty and staff have called on LeBlanc to resign in recent months. The survey is expected to be conducted through mid-January.

Question
What are the names of the special committees formed by LeBlanc to consider two recent name change requests?
Click to see answer

Answer
The Special Committee on the Colonials Moniker and the Special Committee on the Marvin Center Name. LeBlanc formed the two committees in July after the Board of Trustees approved a framework to consider requests for renaming buildings and memorials at the University.