Faculty-wide survey of LeBlanc, GW leadership released

File Photo by Grace Hromin | Senior Photo Editor
LeBlanc said officials saw an increase in requested COVID-19 tests and a “modest” increase in positive cases among the on-campus cohort after Thanksgiving break, which he said is likely tied to an increase in travel around the holiday.

A group of faculty senators charged with overseeing a faculty-wide survey of University President Thomas LeBlanc said they have already received hundreds of responses since its distribution earlier this month.

Senators Susan Kulp, Jamie Cohen-Cole, Shaista Khilji and executive committee chair Arthur Wilson said in a release that 365 faculty have completed the survey as of Monday. The survey will be open until at least Jan. 11 and was developed based on leadership surveys, Association of Governing Boards guidelines and LeBlanc’s job description, the release states.

“This survey comprises questions about the current campus climate and President LeBlanc’s leadership,” the statement reads. “The results of this survey will be communicated with the Board, President LeBlanc and the GW faculty and staff members.”

The Faculty Assembly, a body open to all faculty members with full-time faculty as voting members, voted 152-25 last month to launch the survey. The decision came after months of discussion among some faculty about potential votes of no confidence or censure, as hundreds of members of the GW community have signed statements calling for LeBlanc’s resignation.

The senators said they shared the survey with the Board of Trustees in October, but they did “have not received their support.”

The Board said in a statement provided to The Hatchet that they plan to follow their standard evaluation process for a president about to enter the final year of a contract.

“This process will occur in the spring and involves the hiring of an independent expert to ensure that the process for all stakeholder input is both comprehensive and fair,” the Board said in an email. “We would encourage the Faculty Senate and others in the GW community to participate in that process next year.”

The faculty senators also said they shared the survey instrument with LeBlanc, who did not return a request for comment.