D.C. Council confirms new chief of FEMS

Donnelly has previously worked as an EMT, paramedic, firefighter and officer, compiling 28 years of service for FEMS.

The D.C. Council confirmed a new chief of D.C. Fire and Emergency Medical Services Tuesday.

John Donnelly was named chief of D.C. FEMS, replacing Gregory Dean, who’s retiring nearly six years after he was tapped to head the agency in 2015. Donnelly, who was nominated for the appointment in September, served as assistant chief of FEMS and topped the professional development bureau, where he oversaw human resources, WTOP reported.

The WTOP report states Donnelly has previously worked as an EMT, paramedic, firefighter and officer, compiling 28 years of service for FEMS.

Donnelly’s confirmation caps Dean’s tenure during which he developed a plan to call upon private companies for “low-priority” calls, leaving more city ambulances available for more serious emergencies. Mayor Muriel Bowser initially hired Dean to rectify a number of agency service failures, which he focused on resolving throughout his time as chief, according to The Washington Post.

The Post reported that Bowser said Dean helped modernize and upgrade the agency and guide FEMS through the COVID-19 pandemic, during which several members of the agency have became infected.