Weekend Outlook – Visit the National Christmas Tree

It’s December, which means the Christmas Tree outside the White House will be lit every night for viewing.

Believe it or not, it’s the first week of December. Between finals breaks, get in the holiday spirit by checking out the National Christmas Tree, watching the virtual premiere of BalletMet’s “The Nutcracker’ and getting cozy by an outdoor fire at The Wharf for a screening of “Elf.”

Friday

The National Christmas Tree

If you’re in Foggy Bottom this holiday season, the National Christmas Tree is only a short walk away. This huge tree sits just behind the White House on the northeast side of The Ellipse and is surrounded by smaller trees decorated with ornaments from all 50 states. The tree lighting ceremony was pre-recorded this year due to COVID-19 concerns, but the 30-foot Colorado Blue Spruce will be lit every night this month for viewing.

The Ellipse, 15th & E streets NW. Tree lit from sunset to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, sunset to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Tickets are free.

Saturday

The Hip Hop Nutcracker by The National Theater

“The Nutcracker” is a long-standing holiday tradition for ballet studios across the world, but this year The National Theater is putting on a virtual Nutcracker with a spin. Though the storyline of the ballet is the same, this hip hop remix incorporates 12 “all-star” dancers, a DJ, a violinist and hip hop icon MC Kurtis Blow. You can either watch the performance live or purchase a ticket to watch for a certain amount of time afterward.

Virtual show starts at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 for live show, $50 for VIP.

Sunday

“Elf” at The Wharf

Gather your roommates and head to The Wharf for a screening of everyone’s favorite holiday movie “Elf.” Tickets are purchased per group of four, and attendees get to enjoy a complimentary seat around their own fire pit while they watch the movie. The film will be screened on a 20-foot LED screen so guests can spread out and still have a good view. Drinks and snacks will be sold by Catina Bambina if you’re looking for movie munchies.

Transit Pier at The Wharf, 970 Wharf St. SW, screenings at 2 and 6 p.m. Tickets are $60 per group of 4.