The Hatchet’s 2020 Basketball Guide

Athletes and coaches on both teams said practicing on campus has created a sense of normalcy amid the pandemic.

The Hatchet’s 2020
BASKETBALL GUIDE

Facing uncertainty: Men’s and women’s basketball steel for season plagued by COVID-19
Armed with masks, weekly testing and modified schedules, men’s and women’s basketball are poised to be the first GW sports to play since March. Read up on this year’s squads in The Hatchet’s 2020 Basketball Guide.

READ THE COVER STORY

Men’s Basketball

Christian keeps focus on three-point shooting as men’s squad pushes for more possessions

Christian said he hopes the program launches 48 percent of its total shots from three-point territory to be effective.

READ THE STORY

Men’s basketball sports entirely domestic roster for first time in two decades

This season, all 16 members of the men’s squad live in the United States with nine members growing up in the DMV.

READ THE STORY

Christian looks to bolster interior defense, make zone an option in year two

The team is looking to work in zone defense this year after Christian’s signature “mayhem” style fell short.

READ THE STORY

Four transfers will increase offensive depth, fill gaps, Christian says

Four players from Vanderbilt, Mount St. Mary’s, LSU and Maryland joined the program this season as transfers.

READ THE STORY

‘My last chance’: Senior guard looks to cement legacy at GW before final buzzer

Jack said his adaptability helped him navigate his career at GW, which spans two head coaches and dozens of different teammates.

READ THE STORY

Meet men’s basketball’s freshmen: First-years learn to adapt to team amid pandemic

Center Noel Brown and guards Lincoln Ball and Tyler Brelsford round out the youngest additions to the squad’s roster.

READ THE STORY

Sophomore duo expected to lead men’s basketball at the point

Sophomore guards James Bishop and Jameer Nelson Jr. will be expected to handle the ball this season, head coach Jamion Christian said.

READ THE STORY

Women’s Basketball

Women’s basketball fills gaps in point guard position, post rotation

Rizzotti said two upperclassmen and a couple of freshmen could bolster the squad’s post play this season.

READ THE STORY

Women’s program serves as launchpad for alumnae seeking careers in athletics

Head coach Jennifer Rizzotti said the coaching additions was mutually beneficial for the program and former athletes.

READ THE STORY

Women’s basketball relies on experienced players to generate consistency this year

The team will lean on graduate student guards Jasmine Whitney and Sydney Zambrotta and junior guard Maddie Loder.

READ THE STORY

After losing three top scorers, women’s squad looks to patch up offensive holes

The squad averaged 56.1 points per game last year – good for 330th out of 368 DI programs and No. 13 of 14 in the A-10.

READ THE STORY

Women’s basketball leans on trio of captains to develop team culture

Players voted sophomore forward Faith Blethen, redshirt junior forward Neila Luma and graduate student guard Jasmine Whitney as captains.

READ THE STORY

Freshmen add energy, adaptability to women’s basketball program: Rizzotti

Guards Aurea Gingras and Piper Macke, forward Caranda Perea and center Ali Brigham are the team’s newest additions.

READ THE STORY

Like father, like daughter: Freshman center aims to outpace father’s success at alma mater

Growing up, freshman center Ali Brigham was coached by her father, who nabbed a Sweet 16 run while playing at GW nearly three decades ago.

READ THE STORY

Listen to the podcast
Sports editor Emily Maise breaks down the 2020-21 season