GW launches program allowing students to donate excess GWorld funds to peers

In+response+to+requests+from+students+who+use+the+pantry%2C+The+Store+opened+a+shelf+with+gluten-free+foods+earlier+this+month.+
In response to requests from students who use the pantry, The Store opened a shelf with gluten-free foods earlier this month.

Students, staff and faculty can now transfer their GWorld funds to their peers, according to a press release Monday.

GW is teaming up with Swipe Out Hunger, a nonprofit that aims to address food insecurity on college campuses, to allow the University community to donate the remainder of their GWorld balances to other students. Interested students can transfer their funds through the GET app, and the money raised will be split evenly between The Store and the Abrahms’ Family Fund, which provides emergency Colonial Cash to students.

“Small donations by cardholders can mean so much to students who are relying on The Store as a resource during these unprecedented times,” Kathryn Howell, second-year graduate student in the Trachtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration and The Store’s president, said in the release. 

Swipe Out Hunger works with more than 120 colleges across the country to find solutions to campus hunger, according to its website

Food insecurity is not a new issue to GW. Students created a task force in 2018 to examine the food access on campus, and the group produced a report the following spring encouraging officials to create a dining hall on the Foggy Bottom Campus and offer more meal deals.

Emily Dieker, the director of the GWorld office, said COVID-19 has “exacerbated” the problem of food insecurity, and the initiative will make a “big” difference for the students in need.

She added that launching the partnership during Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week, which began Monday and runs through Friday, addresses the “pressing” issue of food access.

“In a time when we’re all dealing with so much individually, it’s heartening to see how much members of the GW community support one another,” Dieker said in the release.