Dish of the Week: Woodley Cafe’s bourbon pecan pie

Diego Mendoza | Staff Photographer
Woodley Cafe’s bourbon pecan pie balances sweet with smoky in a dish sure to please the taste buds.

Whether you’re on the hunt for casual American food or diner-style desserts, Woodley Cafe has you covered. 

Located at 2619 Connecticut Ave. NW, the establishment is right across the street from Metro’s Woodley Park station on the Red Line and is just a few blocks away from some of D.C.’s most popular date spots, like the National Zoo and Adams Morgan’s lively 18th Street corridor. If you prefer to eat at home, you can also order from the cafe via DoorDash. 

Just like the other popular restaurants on Connecticut Avenue, Woodley Cafe features outdoor seating lined with a blue canopy to shield customers from the colder weather. String lights hang around the canopy at night, and space heaters are scattered around the tables for chilly days.

The narrow inside of the restaurant is reminiscent of a saloon: a wooden bar on the left side stretches across the length of the restaurant. The right side is lined with one continuous booth and small tables that seat parties of two. Per COVID-19 regulations, inside seating is limited to half capacity, so every other seat has been removed in order to practice social distancing. 

Woodley Cafe serves homestyle American grub, so make sure to prepare yourself for hearty, buttery dishes that warm you up during the colder months. More importantly, the cafe offers an all-day, anytime menu, so feel free to enjoy the Cajun shrimp penne ($18.95) for dinner or a ham, cheese and tomato omelette ($10.75) for breakfast. 

If you’re more traditional about your weekend brunch options, Woodley Cafe offers some classic choices, including eggs Benedict ($11.95). Those with a sweeter tooth can indulge the restaurant’s grilled French toast ($9.50) or the buttermilk pancakes ($9.25). 

To suite your caffeine addictions, Woodley Cafe offers fresh ground Colombian coffee ($2.50), but you can also have it customized to your liking, whether that be a cappuccino or an iced latte (both $3.95).

I’m all for eating breakfast for dinner, but I was craving something more savory for my meal. I spotted my favorite sandwich, a reuben ($12.25), which I decided to order it along with a side of sweet potato fries (add $4.75). 

But in line with the holiday season, my main goal was to find a dessert that embodies Thanksgiving fall flavors. I looked past the timeless New York-style cheesecake ($6.99) and “Chocolate Confusion” mass of brownie, cookie and cake ($6.99) and opted for the bourbon pecan pie ($6.99).

The pie’s gooey, oozy filling was not overly sweet, thanks to the notes of Kentucky bourbon and vanilla that added just the perfect hint of smokiness. The crust was the perfect balance between flaky and chewy, crumbling apart with every bite but not turning into a disappointing sand-like texture. The candied pecans on top held the pie together and added a delicious crunch with every bite. 

For classic American breakfast, lunch or dinner at any time of any day, check out Woodley Cafe.