Faculty Assembly expected to consider procedural motion about online voting

The Faculty Assembly, which is set to hold its regular annual meeting later today, will begin with a debate over the body’s ability to vote in a virtual setting.

Faculty Senate Parliamentarian Steve Charnovitz said at last week’s senate meeting that the assembly – which consists of all full-time faculty members – has historically not allowed online voting under the Faculty Code and Faculty Organization Plan, but the body could suspend the rules with unanimous consent to allow for an exception. The body is scheduled to consider a petition calling for a faculty-wide survey about University President Thomas LeBlanc’s performance, which could include an indication of no confidence.

Arthur Wilson, the chair of the Faculty Senate executive committee, said in an email to faculty on Friday that LeBlanc has deferred to Charnovitz on the issue of voting at the assembly meeting.

“We are disappointed that the president has taken this position, but perhaps a decision to unanimously ‘suspend the rules’ can be achieved, so that we can have a normal meeting,” Wilson said in the email.

A single faculty member could object to the motion, preventing the assembly from voting on the petition.

The assembly is also scheduled to hear remarks from LeBlanc, Wilson, Board of Trustees Chair Grace Speights and Provost Brian Blake.