GW Hospital, MFA, University sued in medical malpractice case

File Photo by Eric Lee
The GW Hospital’s approach to patient treatment has shifted to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

A former patient is suing the University, the GW Hospital and the Medical Faculty Associates for medical negligence when he fell and injured himself during skull surgery rehab three years ago.

In a five-page lawsuit filed in the D.C. Superior Court Tuesday, Maurice Walton alleges health care providers at GW Hospital were negligent when they failed to prevent him from allegedly falling and incurring temporary and permanent injuries when he was walking out of the shower in his room. Walton is suing GW Hospital, the MFA and the University for $5 million, according to the complaint.

The lawsuit states Walton was admitted to GW Hospital in October 2017 to undergo rehab following a head injury that required open skull surgery. When Walton was walking out of the shower in his room the next month, he fell and injured his right hip, shoulder, neck, back and head, which led to “diminished physical and cognitive abilities,” according to the complaint.

“Plaintiff would not have fallen but for that the defendants, acting through their agents and employees, breached applicable standards of care,” the complaint states.

The lawsuit states some of Walton’s injuries were permanent and required “extensive” medical treatment and surgical procedures that have created financial, emotional and physical burdens.

Walton alleges that hospital staff failed to maintain and repair the shower where he fell and warn the then-patient to avoid using “a malfunctioning shower.” The lawsuit states staff also failed to implement and follow a “Fall Prevention” program and provide adequate staffing, nursing and medical care.

University spokesperson Crystal Nosal, GW Hospital spokesperson Susan Griffiths and MFA spokesperson Barabar Porter did not immediately return requests for comment. Walton declined to comment, and his lawyer – James Taglieri – did not immediately return request for comment.