Redshirt junior forward makes second preseason All-Conference Team in two years

File Photo by Zach Brien | Photographer
Women’s basketball head coach says junior forward Neila Luma may take up the mantle from last year’s seniors if she can be a more vocal leader.

Redshirt junior forward Neila Luma was named to the Atlantic 10’s women’s basketball preseason All-Conference Third Team, according to a press release Monday.

Luma is entering her fourth year with the program as the most tenured student-athlete on the roster. She was the only Colonial on the men’s or women’s side to earn a preseason accolade.

A year ago, she was also named to the preseason All-Conference Second Team. Luma was the Colonials’ leading returning scorer and rebounder heading into the 2019-20 season, but a season-ending knee injury sidelined her for all but five games and forced her to take a redshirt season. In those five games, she averaged 5.6 points and 5.0 rebounds per game in 25.6 average minutes.

During the 2018-19 campaign, Luma averaged 10.4 points and 6.1 rebounds per game. She ranked second on the squad with 24 steals, shot 39 percent from the floor in 28.1 minutes per game and recorded 16 double-figure scoring games.

In her career, Luma has started 94.1 percent of the 68 games she’s appeared in, averaging 27.5 minutes per contest. She fires at a .390 career clip from the field for 8.4 points per game.

To round out the preseason festivities, the women’s basketball program placed ninth out of 14 teams in the A-10’s 2020-21 preseason poll.