Dish of the Week: Hi/Fi Taco’s crispy avocado tacos

Donna Armstrong | Senior Staff Photographer
Located inside D.C.’s newest food hall, Hi/Fi Taco offers a twist on classic Mexican fare.

For tacos with a twist, head to Hi/Fi Taco.

The taco shop is located at 1401 Pennsylvania Ave. SE inside The Roost, the District’s newest food hall, and just across from the Potomac Avenue Metro stop. The recently-opened food hall offers an ample amount of indoor and outdoor seating, along with options for pick up and delivery for all of its vendors.

Hi/Fi Taco’s menu features playful riffs on traditional Mexican food. The ordering system also allows for customers to indicate allergies and dietary restrictions, which the restaurant staff can easily address while preparing your dishes.

Customers can choose from Mexican-inspired appetizers like bacon cheeseburger queso ($11) with lettuce, tomato, onion and pickles or Valentina hot wings ($12) topped with smoked crema, pickled peppers, cilantro and green onions.

Other than appetizers, the Hi/Fi Taco menu is simple with an assortment of tacos. Each taco order comes with two tacos in varieties like orange soda-braised carnitas ($5.75) with curtido – a Salvadoran cabbage slaw – smoked crema, American cheese and chicharones, or fried pork rinds, and mojo-braised chicken ($5.75) with avocado crema, enchilada sauce and shredded lettuce.

If you’re looking for something to sip on, Hi/Fi Taco offers an assortment of Jarritos sodas ($3) in flavors like guava, mango and pineapple.

I decided to order Hi/Fi Taco’s crispy avocado tacos ($5.75) because I had never seen anything like them on a menu before. The two tacos came on soft corn tortillas, were spread with black beans and topped with avocado crema, pickled onions and a sprinkling of thinly-sliced radishes.

The tortillas were soft, yet sturdy enough to hold the assortment of toppings and a generous smear of smoky black beans that were super flavorful from the addition of jalapeno.

Each taco came with a large slice of avocado that had been delicately fried in a tempura-like batter. I had never had fried avocado before and was worried that the texture might taste weird, but I was pleasantly surprised. The integrity of the avocado’s texture remained the same and was elevated by the crunchy exterior of the fried batter.

The additional toppings each added a different texture and flavor to the tacos. The avocado crema was creamy, the pickled onions were slightly crunchy and tangy while the radishes were bitter and added a bit of crispness.

Just a few Metro stops away from campus, the trip to Hi/Fi Taco was well worth it for its unconventional take on tacos.