SA Senate approves bill to review bylaws by spring

Auden Yurman | Photographer
The task force will evaluate the body’s bylaws and make changes in the spring.

The Student Association Senate passed legislation Monday to create a task force that will reform the organization’s bylaws by spring.

Senators said the New Constitution Transition task force will examine the body’s governing documents and amend it to align changes made to the SA constitution in March. SA Sen. Thomas Falcigno, CPS-G and a sponsor of the bill, said the task force members will review aspects of the SA’s bylaws, like the number of votes needed to secure a senate seat, to reflect changes made in the constitution.

“My goal with the whole task force is to really think structurally about how this organization functions at every level, in every branch and figure out how we can be more responsive to students’ concerns,” he said.

Eleven senators joined the task force, which Falcigno will lead. He said the task force will release a list of recommendations for the updated bylaws by March 1 to complete the changes by the spring.

The senate also passed a resolution approving the release of a survey about graduate student tuition changes, which the graduate student caucus will use to advocate for decreased tuition. Graduate students have been pushing for a tuition discount, as undergraduates received this academic year, since the summer.

The resolution also comes after the senate passed a resolution in April requiring all SA surveys to be approved in the senate before they are released.

SA Sen. Sebastian Weinmann, Law-G and a sponsor of the resolution, said the results of the survey will be discussed in a graduate student town hall later this month.

Senators approved a bill that decreases the number of vacancy applications that are sent to the full senate after they are vetted by the governance and nominations committee from three to two candidates. Senators said the change will increase efficiency during full senate meetings.

The senate also approved a resolution applauding the senators who advocated for free newspaper subscriptions at The New York Times, The Washington Post and The Wall Street Journal.

Senators also confirmed Chloe Wagner, a junior in the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, as the chairperson of the Joint Election Commission, which oversees SA elections.