Live: Hundreds surround White House, Ward 2 candidates make last pitches on Election Day

Media Credit: Hadley Chittum | Staff Photographer

A voter walks past the Malcom X Opportunity Center in Southeast D.C. just an hour before polls close in D.C.

LIVE: Last updated on Nov. 4, 2020 at 9:14 a.m.

By the time polls opened in D.C. this morning, Ward 2 candidates were already stationed at voting booths, while other people were beginning to gather around the White House to show support for their preferred candidate.

Election Day progressed rather calmly in the District as thousands of people took to the streets to watch race results unfold on a jumbotron or demonstrate in Black Lives Matter Plaza. Hatchet reporters spread out across D.C. to capture scenes throughout the day and wrapped up Tuesday coverage in the evening with election results uncertain.

Take a look at some sights throughout day:

12 a.m.
17th and U streets NW

Zach Brien | Staff Photographer

Demonstrators cross 17th and U streets NW during a march from Thomas Circle to the Fourth District police station.

8 p.m.
McPherson Square

Lillian Bautista | Senior Photo Editor

Live results of the presidential election are projected on a building at the corner of 16th and I streets.

Lillian Bautista | Senior Photo Editor

A person paints the words “Count Every Vote” on a red sign.

Lillian Bautista | Senior Photo Editor

People watch as results from the presidential race are called on an outdoor projector.

7:30 p.m.
White House

Sarah Urtz | Staff Photographer

A person sits down to check election results outside the White House.

7 p.m.
Malcolm X Opportunity Center

Hadley Chittum | Staff Photographer

A voter walks past the Malcolm X Opportunity Center in Southeast D.C. just an hour before polls close in D.C.

Hadley Chittum | Staff Photographer

Members of Fuel the People, an organization that provides food and safety equipment to Black Lives Matter protesters, stand outside the Malcolm X Opportunity Center distributing free food to voters in Southeast D.C.

6:50 p.m.
White House

Zach Brien | Staff Photographer

People wave a flag outside the White House reading “Remove Trump.”

6:45 p.m.
White House

Sarah Urtz | Staff Photographer

Hundreds of people flock to the White House in anticipation of presidential election results.

5:38 p.m.
BLM Plaza

Zach Brien | Staff Photographer

A man dances to music from the Long Live GoGo bus as it leaves BLM Plaza.

5:20 p.m.
BLM Plaza

Zach Brien | Staff Photographer

Metropolitan Police Department officers detain a man after a group of people playing GoGo music out of a bus in BLM Plaza refuse to move.

4:20 p.m.
White House

Sophie Moten | Staff Photographer

MPD officers monitor the crowd gathering in front of the White House.

4:15 p.m.
Foundry United Methodist Church

Sarah Urtz | Staff Photographer

Ward 2 Council member Brooke Pinto stands outside a polling site at Foundry United Methodist Church alongside several supporters. Pinto has held the Ward 2 seat since June.

3:35
Logan Circle

Hadley Chittum | Staff Photographer

Carpenters from Gashi Construction board up the windows of Street Carts Restaurant in Logan Circle. Several restaurant owners said they plan to barricade their businesses in anticipation of unrest as election results trickle in.

3:30 p.m.
BLM Plaza

Kate Carpenter | Staff Photographer

A group of drummers walk down BLM Plaza, drawing the main attention from the White House.

3 p.m.
White House

Kate Carpenter | Staff Photographer

The energy and anticipation at the White House begins to build as dusk approaches.

1:45 p.m.
Stead Park

Kate Carpenter | Staff Photographer

Seniors Paige Grande and Audrey Friedline campaign for James Harnett at Stead Park, one of seven polling sites for Ward 2 residents. Harnett, a senior and ANC commissioner, is running for the D.C. State Board of Education.

12:31 p.m.
Eastern Market

Donna Armstrong | Senior Staff Photographer

A dog wears an “I voted, yo voté,” sticker.

12:30 p.m.
School Without Walls

Sophia Young | Contributing Photo Editor

Two campaign volunteers for Ward 2 candidate and Dupont Circle ANC Commissioner Randy Downs stand outside School Without Walls, one of seven voting sites for the area’s residents.

12:23 p.m.
Eastern Market

Aria’s (5) and Nicolas’ (10) mother bought them cookies reading “Vote” and “DC” in Eastern Market.

Noon
White House

Kate Carpenter | Staff Photographer

Two men, one in support of President Donald Trump and against him, stand outside of the White House.

Kariann Tan | Staff Photographer

People surround the outskirts of the White House, which is barricaded.

10:50 a.m.
BLM Plaza

Zach Brien | Staff Photographer

A Secret Security officer blocks the main entrance to BLM Plaza, which stretches through the two blocks of 16th Street NW between H and K streets. The plaza was the site of weeks of protest in the summer after the death of George Floyd.

10 a.m.
School Without Walls

Ari Golub | Staff Photographer

Senior Yannik Omictin, a candidate for the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission, bumps elbows with a voter.

Ari Golub | Staff Photographer

Volunteers work the polling site at School Without Walls, one of seven voting locations for Ward 2 residents.

9:31 a.m.
School Without Walls

A woman working at the polling location at School Without Walls sits on her phone.