Live: Alumni, former students vie for seats in House, Senate

File Photo by Donna Armstrong | Senior Staff Photographer
For a lot of students, concern about contracting COVID-19 at a polling place and spreading it to relatives pushed them to vote absentee this year.

LIVE: Last updated on Dec. 5, 2020 at 10:30 p.m.

At least 14 alumni are vying for a seat for the two major parties on the U.S. House of Representatives and U.S. Senate this election.

The Hatchet news team is tracking the outcome of each candidate’s outcome on Twitter using The Associated Press’s official vote tally.

Follow along this blog for live updates as races are called:

Sen. Mark Warner, D-Va., is seeking his third term in the Senate against Republican Daniel Gabe, a military veteran and professor of practice at American University. Warner, who has served since 2009, received a bachelor’s degree in political science from GW in 1977.

Polls close at: 7 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 56 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Mark Warner

Rep. William Timmons, R-S.C., is facing Democrat Kim Nelson, the founder of a South Carolina vaccine advocacy group, in South Carolina’s 4th District. Timmons completed his bachelor’s degree in international affairs and political science at GW in 2006.

Polls close at: 7 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 61.7 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: William Timmons

Rep. Neal Dunn, R-Fla., has served since 2017 and is running unopposed for reelection in Florida’s 2nd District. The Democratic primary was canceled after no candidates filed for the race. Dunn received a doctorate in medicine from the School of Medicine and Health Sciences in 1979.

Polls close at: 7 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 97.9 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Neal Dunn

Rep. Darren Soto, D-Fla., is running for reelection against Republican Bill Olson, a military veteran and political newcomer, in Florida’s 9th District. Soto, who has represented the district since January 2017, graduated from the law school in 2004.

Polls close at: 7 p.m. EST
Race called for: Darren Soto

Democrat Morris Davis, a U.S. Air Force veteran and former administrative law judge, is vying for North Carolina 11th Congressional District. Davis is facing Republican Madison Cawthorn, the owner of a real estate investment firm. Davis received a master’s degree in military law from GW in 1992.

Polls close at: 7:30 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 42.4 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Madison Cawthorn

Democrat Sara Gideon is attempting to defeat incumbent Republican Sen. Susan Collins of Maine. Gideon currently serves as speaker of the Maine House of Representatives and graduated with a bachelor’s degree in international affairs from GW in 1994.

Polls close at: 8 p.m. EST
Race called for: Susan Collins

Rep. Susan Wild, D-Pa., is facing Republican Lisa Scheller, a former Lehigh County commissioner, in her reelection campaign for Pennsylvania’s 7th District. Wild, who first took office in 2019, received a degree from GW Law in 1982.

Polls close at: 8 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 51.9 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Susan Wild

Democrat Gretchen Driskell is making her third straight attempt to unseat incumbent Republican Tim Walberg in Michigan’s 7th District. Driskell, a former mayor, received a master’s degree in business administration from GW in 1987.
Polls close at: 8 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 41.3 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Tim Walberg

https://twitter.com/rachannex/status/1323760196171149314

Democrat Antonia Eliason, a lawyer and professor at the University of Mississippi, is running against Republican incumbent Trent Kelly in Mississippi’s 1st District. Eliason received her master’s in European and Eurasian studies from GW in 2004.

Polls close at: 8 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 29.7 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Trent Kelly

Republican Andrew Garbarino, a member of the New York State Assembly, is seeking to fill the seat in New York’s 2nd District being left vacant by the retirement of long-time Republican incumbent Peter King. He is running against Democrat Jackie Gordon, a combat veteran and former member of the Babylon Town Council. Garbarino received a bachelor’s degree in history and classical humanities from GW.

Polls close at: 9 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 52.9 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Andrew Garbarino

Democrat Martin Lemelle, the executive vice president of Grambling State University in Louisiana, is running to represent Louisians’s 5th District against several candidates in a nonpartisan primary. Lemelle received a master’s of business administration from GW.

Polls close at: 9 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 10.4 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Republican Luke Letlow defeats Republican Lance Harris in a Dec. 5 runoff

Republican Jesse Jensen, a program manager for Amazon, is challenging incumbent Democrat Kim Schrier for Washington State’s 8th District. Jensen received his bachelor’s degree in political science from GW in 2006.

Polls close at: 11 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 48.2 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Kim Schrier

Rep. Julia Brownley, D-Calif., is running for a fifth term representing California’s 26th District. She is facing Republican Ronda Baldwin-Kennedy, an attorney. Brownley received a political science bachelor’s degree from GW in 1975.

Polls close at: 11 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 60.6 percent with 100 percent reporting
Race called for: Julia Brownley

Rep. Gil Cisneros, D-Calif., is running for a second term in a rematch against his former opponent, Republican Young Kim, a former California state assemblywoman. Cisneros narrowly won the race for California’s 39th District in 2018. He received a political science degree from GW in 1994 and donated $7 million along with his wife to create the Cisneros Hispanic Leadership Institute in 2015.

Polls close at: 11 p.m. EST
Share of vote: 49.4 percent with 99 percent reporting
Race called for: Young Kim