Official managing IT offices to leave GW for new role amid restructuring

After just two months in the role, the official overseeing GW’s technology offices’ consolidation is departing the University.

University spokesperson Crystal Nosal confirmed Jonathan Fozard, who was promoted to become GW’s interim chief technology officer on Sept. 1, is leaving the University Monday to become Florida State University’s deputy chief information officer. Officials began consolidating GW’s technology offices as part of budget cuts over the summer, which has led to dozens of layoffs.

“Jonathan has very ably led GW IT, working closely with leadership across GW to create the shared services model for our technology services,” Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer Mark Diaz said in an email to IT employees last week, which was obtained by The Hatchet. “This model is helping to streamline our processes and enhance the strategic delivery and quality of our services.”

FSU already lists Fozard as their deputy chief information officer on their website, but Nosal said Fozard will begin the role on Nov. 9.

“I am passionate about helping others, innovative technologies and supporting the true mission and purpose of higher education in everything we do,” Fozard wrote in his FSU biography.

Diaz said in the email that Jared Johnson, the associate vice president of academic technology and customer experience, will now also serve as interim chief technology officer. Officials still plan to create a permanent chief digital officer position “in the future,” he said.

“With nearly 16 years of GW experience, Jared brings institutional knowledge, technology expertise and a collaborative, solutions-oriented leadership approach to ensure GW IT’s continued success and service excellence,” Diaz said.